For those who fletch your own arrows...

Bitzenberger for me. AAE Maxbond seems to work best for Blazers on FMJ shafts.
Always clean shafts and vanes with denatured alcohol.

Festus, I talked to the people at Bohning. They said never clean the vanes. They put some bonding agent on them to counter the release agent from the mold. If its working for you, dont change!

Festus, I talked to the people at Bohning. They said never clean the vanes. They put some bonding agent on them to counter the release agent from the mold. If its working for you, dont change!

Huh. I tried several different glues for this combination. It seemed that AAE stuck to the shaft on the FMJ's the best, but not to the Blazers very well at all.
I actually rough up the shafts and vanes then clean with denatured alcohol.
I very seldom lose a vane and when one gets cut they are actually difficult to scrape off.

I will try a few without roughing or cleaning the vanes and let you know what I find out. I might be doing double work.
Thank you.

I've also found that less glue works better...

One of the biggest issues We had when people fletched their own arrows was they would usw WAY to much glue. It sure makes a mess.

As for the vanes, at the archery shop I worked at, we did have a lot of issues with Blazer vanes for a while. Thats when I called Bohning to see iif there was something we were doing wrong. The guy there said always clean your shafts, but not the vanes. They har to change release agents because most glues were not sticking to them. Thats when he told me about the bonding agent they were starting to put on them. With you roughing the bottoms up, I can sure see how it would help. Like I said, if its working, dont change. If you want to try a few without cleaning the vanes, give it a shot. Also, if your into experimenting, try not cleaning the vanes and try that Loc-Tite superglue gel! I probably fletched better that 10,000 arrows at that shop with it. I shoot archery tournaments all over the USA and thats the same glue I use on my tournament arrows. Try it and let me know what you think. Youll like it. Use just a little. It will set up quick. It doesny take very long to fletch a dozen arrows.

Back