For the animal debater in all of you.

dgibson

I was researching a question that came up elsewhere and ran across this site...the database available there is incredible. If you want the scientific skinny on an animal or plant in North America, it's there. That's not to say that it's going to solve any arguments, but at least it helps dummies like me get a grip on what kind of animal we're talking about! For instance, did you know that the coyote: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Mates in late winter. Gestation lasts 60-65 days. Litter size averages 4-7 in different areas. Young are born March-May. Both parents tend young. Family leaves den when young 8-10 weeks old. Young are on their own by late fall. Sexually mature in 1-2 years. Interbreeds freely with domestic dog.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I think this site is very well done and informative, but surely someone will find something to beotch about.
wink.gif

http://www.natureserve.org/explorer/index.htm

From the same site: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Generally wolves are not instrumental in causing prey declines; effect varies with other circumstances. In Quebec, winter weather appeared to affect deer population trend more than did wolf predation (Potvin et al. 1992). In south-central Alaska, wolf predation may have limited caribou recruitment (Bergerud and Ballard 1988), though winter starvation also was proposed as a significant poplation control. May take livestock as secondary prey when deer fawns (the primary summer prey) are less vulnerable due to better prenatal nutrition resulting from mild winter (USFWS 1990). In Minnesota, snow-induced changes in deer distribution and mobility resulted in changes in wolf movement patterns, sociality, and feeding behavior (when snow was shallow, wolves traveled farther and more often, spent less time with pack members, and used conifer cover less and killed fewer deer there) (Fuller 1991).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks!! It's great for getting an understanding of the natural history of the animals and plants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back