Flying with your bow case Question

hardwoods

Hi guys, I'd like to hear your past experiences of airlines and your bows. Their rules state 62 linear inches is the max before the oversized fee kicks in which is ridiculously high. Every bow case ive seen is over that. What has your experience been flying with your bow to a hunt? Im looking at either Delta or Sun Country airlines. Any other tips you can suggest? Thanks

I've never been charged an over size fee. I almost always fly Southwest.

I used to use the SKB hunter case, but it was crushed by Southwest on my flight to Arizona last year.

Hi guys, I'd like to hear your past experiences of airlines and your bows. Their rules state 62 linear inches is the max before the oversized fee kicks in which is ridiculously high. Every bow case ive seen is over that. What has your experience been flying with your bow to a hunt? Im looking at either Delta or Sun Country airlines. Any other tips you can suggest? Thanks
Go with Southwest if you can...In my experience they are the most hunter/luggage friendly out there.....:cool:

I like South west also but im pretty sure they dont fly to anchorage.

I flew Alaska Air to Hawaii last summer and I'm going again with them in May. No oversize fees on bowcase or large icechest. Coming back I was charged overweight ( 100 lbs ) on the icechest. But even then it's not too bad.

hardwoods when we fly for hunts, we take our double bow cases, rip out the foam.
We then stuff/pad our bows with all of our clothes and some other gear.
We then FedEx (ground) our cases to the nearest FedEx location to the airport or a friend. Believe it or not it's cheaper this way!

Additionally, all we carry on the plane is our packs with the electronics, optics.

I use a Badlands Terra-glide and its awesome.Fits your bow and all your clothes and looks like regular luggage.Took mine to Africa with no trouble at all.If you plan to fly with your bow a lot;get one of these for sure.You wont be disappointed.And the anti hunter baggage people won't even know theres a bow in there

Southwest by far...two bags free. Plus, each extra bag is only 50 bucks for 50 lbs if you get one and want to bring it back on the plane. I have used one of the 36inch duffles with a drop bottom they sell on Sierra trading post. Put the bow in the bottom, pack on top of it, clothes and tent in the very top. Cooler as the second bag for wishful thinking and all of the freeze dried food. Works like a charm. Just make sure to put arrows in a tube.

mixedbag - Good catch! I have an old TerraGlide, that is loaded with my backup gear on extended trips of more than 2 weeks.

Sitka Gear has the Nomad being shipped to us dealers this July. We looked at it at ATA, it looks to be pretty rugged and roomy to load your bow and your gear for extended trips.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back