Fish & Wildlife Commission discards consensus elk plan

katqanna

I just got back from the 2 day Mountain Lion working group meeting in Missoula, so playing catch up.

Here is the OpEd by Dr. Mark Albrecht, one of the Statewide Elk Brucellosis Working Group members.
I commend Commissioners Larry Wetsit of Wolf Point and Matt Tourlotte of Billings for supporting sportsmen and conservation groups by voting against the proposals. Commissioner Richard Stuker of Chinook, an agriculture community representative, held the party line and voted for the proposals. What was striking about Stuker’s actions was his pre-vote threatening commentary, stating that if sportsmen stop this action and he had land in Park County, he would close hunter access. How disappointing to have the most inflammatory, threatening words of the day come from the commissioner’s podium.

Sportsmen ignored

Commissioners Gary Wolfe of Missoula and Chairman Dan Vermillion of Livingston both clearly understood the lack of sportsmen support but still felt they needed to do “something”. As a member of the statewide working group, I know the level of consideration and effort that went into achieving consensus for our objectives. Why would these two FW commissioners completely ignore that guidance? Is Wolfe pandering to the Legislature for approval? Is Vermillion seeking livestock support for a higher office?

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back