First trip, first shed

dcopas78

I met up with my dad today and went out for the first shed hunting trip of the year for me. Dad went out yesterday and found a 3 point side. I usually find most of my sheds in the thickets and the grown up fields. The open fields usually get covered really quickly, both by people that have permission and those that don't. I have found antlers in this field in the past, and this was a real nice start to the season. Dad and I have the right side off of this buck for the last three years. We haven't been able to find the left side, although we know that it has five points on it from trail cam pictures. He is a sly old deer and I suspect that the left side is in a really thick bedding area nearby. You can barely get through it and you usually have to be within feet of an antler to find them in there. Here are a few pictures as it was in the field, and with dad holding it. It was cold and windy, but a great day to spend with dad and a great way to kick off my shed season here in Ohio.

Attachments

• in the field.jpg
    in the field.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 846
  • dad.jpg
    dad.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 834
Last edited:
Nice shed! Tough to beat finding a shed like that while spending time with your dad!

Nice shed, I went out yesterday and found one within 50 yards of truck before I got into woods. Then walked for three hours thru thickets and heavy trails and nothing. Still seeing bucks with full racks, we got about 9 inches of snow in northern Ohiio part, but the one I found sat right on top of snow, was an easy find.

Yeah a lot of the bucks here are still carrying. I saw 3 bucks Saturday and the smallest one had shed one side. The rest still had full headgear.

Man. I found a nice 7 point (one side) 2 days ago. I stopped along a deer trail and just happened to look in the snow and saw 2 points sticking out of snow, only about one inch above snow line. It was about ten yards away off the trail and thought it might have been the tips of a bush. Walked over glad to see they were antlers. Started digging thru snow/ice. That turned out to be a 7 point shed with mass. I scored it around 80". Sometimes I find them easier in snow b/c it eliminates the other twigs and branches that may resemble antlers. Wish I knew how to post pictures on here. I would show you what I first saw then the finished product. It was awesome and kinda lucky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back