PEAX Equipment

First time suggestions?

Huntin4Elk

Hey all, I know a lot of people get on here and ask for tips and tricks and spots. I am not asking anyone to share little honey holes or hunting spots, I just wanted to see if any of you season bow hunters have anything you wish you knew your first time that you know now.

I have put in the time on the range and scouted the area I am going to hunt in and for the first time ever I will be attempting to take an elk with a bow. I have rifle hunted elk for some time now, but have never shot an elk (or anything but a target, for that matter) with a bow, and was just wondering if any of you have any advice you wouldn't mind sharing with a first time archer. Anything you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to sharing my experience on here in the very near future.

I wish I had spent more time learning where to find elk. Once you find them, killing them is not too much rocket science. Consistently finding them as a beginner is harder than consistently killing the ones you do find.

Hint - stay away from roads and trails.

General elk tip, not necessarily archery elk - Learn about the needs of elk at that time of year, then go to those places that are harder to get to. Realize that many times bulls and cows have different needs at different times, so finding cows does not always mean finding bulls. Archery season being one of the easier periods to find them, given how vocal and active they are. And, a time when bulls are cows are together.

I'm probably not seasoned enough to give you any advice other than - good luck. When I first started bow hunting being patient was difficult, by that I mean know the limits of your abilities and stick with them. For a rifle hunter turned bow hunter when that elk is out there at 65 yards you want to be shooting already, but if that's not within your ethical ability - wait, even if it means no shot. On the other hand I passed up a good shot (well within my abilities) on a bull waiting for the perfect shot, I just knew he was coming into the water I was set up on .......... he didn't and I never saw him again, but that's better to deal with than a poor shot that you know you shouldn't chance. I'm still waiting for my first bow elk.

Archery hunting to me is the ultimate - typically bugle beauty - curious though cautious elk...

A friend has an excellent record in archery and while my experience boils down to a cow a few years back, I have shared my close ones with a few bulls.

Some here are gurus of archery as my friend - The bare basics of what I have been told is - check wind, range when setting up, a cow or two decoy's are GREAT, and if within a low hanging tree that give you your range of direction,, take that bush leaves or pine and rub the heck out of your clothes and skin...

These few tips have brought me close though still yet to drop a bull.

I look forward to reading some of the guru's tips here - And Randy, Archery shot at what? 6 yards or dare I say feet??? Your a humble gent, as usual.

Practise makes perfect that is my motto - and man, do I still have some practise left to experience! :)

Make sure you practice at odd shots...up hill, down hill, from your knees, etc

Don't force the shot, either. The shot is either there, or it's not. You don't want a questionable shot for your first archery animal

Bigfins helped you find them and Johns got you shooting good, know i'm gonna help you close the deal!

Play the wind!
Play the wind!
Play the wind!

Ohh yeah, Play the wind

I'm no expert but a scary sharp cut on contact fixed blade broadhead has brought me a few short and very sweet blood trails. Last bull less than 70 yards.

Labor day night I got lucky and a 398 lbs black bear dressed, fell on one of those broadheads. Got a passthru. Found him less than fifty yards away.

Sharp, fixed, and cut on contact in my quiver.

Not trying to start a broadhead war. :D

Im far from an expert, but find a steep spot with good feed and water with lots of tore up trees and then figure out how to hunt it while keeping the wind in your face. Then get good at cow calling and find some luck.

Pretty hard to beat hunting them when they're tearing up trees , blowing snot all over, and whizzing all over themselves.

It'll keep bringing you back again and again.

Be prepared to be frustrated and dejected. Hunting anything with a bow can be very rewarding and frustrating in one. Always know what the wind is doing especially when it seems dead calm.

Other thing I tell myself every time I draw my bow aim small miss small.

A lot of good comments here, I was BS'in on the bow comment...givin' Cushman a hard time! I'd also add, have fun! If it's not fun anymore, time to hang it up!

Successful elk hunters pursue elk when and where the elk are availible, not according to a preconceived schedule of how they think the hunt should unfold. I don't think I could count the opportunities I've missed because, "its almost dark, I'll come back tomorrow", or "things have been slow, there's no elk here," only to have elk bust out because I'm not paying attention.

The number one weapon you have is your mind and a never give up attitude. Figuring out how to get it done is something that will come with time and experience. Get the fundementals of shooting down pat, find the elk, get close to the elk, keep the wind right, and be agressive.

Thanks!

Thank you all for the great suggestions and comments. I am not going until Friday so any other advice is well warranted and greatly appreciated. I am so excited I can hardly wait and am taking all comments to heart. I know that my first year out I may not even get to shoot, but I can't wait to trek around the beautiful Montana landscape and hear some bugling. Thanks again to all who have posted!

You dont have to get a shot to have a successful hunt. I had the most intense experience ive ever had elk hunting last year and didnt even draw my bow. Played with a 330-340ish 6x6 for 6 hours straight, watching him shred trees and interupt my bugles. Had him come in to 40 yards several times but no shot thanks to a crappy set up (deadfall).

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back