PEAX Equipment

First time planning out of state_Strategy Question

MT_Fin

Hello all,

I'm looking at hunting out of state for the first time as a NR, and would appreciate some feedback on WY speedgoat strategy. I've done a bunch of research so not trying to ask the same what unit/how do points work questions posted a lot, just help narrowing down a plan...........

I have a whopping 1pt purchased this year, and while I'd love to build points and eventually have enough to draw a great unit, I'd also love to hunt next year and have another trip with my 6yr old boy tagging along. I'm perfectly happy shooting does (my luck in my home state of MT draw for antelope has been less than stellar so I'm not that picky) and antelope are my favorite species to hunt so just seeing more than a handful would beat my MT season this year and a representative or average buck would be excellent.

So the options as I see them are as follows, Please correct me if I'm wrong or missing something!!!

1. Put in for an easy to draw/difficult access area and either make due with what little public there is or pay a trespass fee......
2. Put in for a decent unit with fair amount of access as first choice, and easy to draw as second thus not burning my point (correct?) and then proceed with remainder of option 1
3. Continue to purchase points and in the meanwhile hope for a left over tag somewhere which are becoming more and more scarce

Am I missing any real options? If not, some guidance on which option makes the most sense would be appreciated and help me further understand the process.

My wife has some family in WY so I put her grandpa who is from there on the task of checking into connections but I'm not holding my breath. With low expectations and being happy/willing to work for it, I'm hoping there's a reasonable chance of putting a fun trip together for my son and I or even my daughter and wife as well if I can get her on board with it.

Thanks in advance,

Fin

Last edited:
Option 2. Pick a unit for second choice with 100% draw odds, get a doe tag for that unit as well so you can get 2 animals and then put in for the 700 unit in Montana and kill a 80 inch buck.

Special (priced) tags will up your odds of getting a particular unit that you want.
You could also put in for a regular priced, hard to draw, but really good unit that you'd love to hunt as first choice on the super slim chance you may get it, then a 100% odds second choice unit so that you gain another point and still get to hunt.

Thanks guys!

After spending the entirety of my antelope hunting efforts in SW MT and Central MT, I have been thinking about applying over east. I deer hunted Region 7 this year and saw quite a few nice antelope bucks

I recently started hunting wy for antelope also. I am happy just shooting does since they are so good eating. I decided to buy points and put in for doe tags to scout some area down there. Antelope doe hunts are perfect to have the boy tag along on. I am going to continue to buy points till the boy is old enough to get a tag. In the mean time i will put in for and buy left over doe tags.

I would look closely at the units you tend to apply for. Neither of the two units I hunted this year were conducive to having a 6 year old tagging along. I wouldn't burn 1 point either. Buy 4 doe tags till you get up to 2-3 points then hunt a unit south of Casper. The downside to those units is the Doe odds stink.

I would look closely at the units you tend to apply for. Neither of the two units I hunted this year were conducive to having a 6 year old tagging along. I wouldn't burn 1 point either. Buy 4 doe tags till you get up to 2-3 points then hunt a unit south of Casper. The downside to those units is the Doe odds stink.

Will do, thanks for the tip. He will be 7.5yrs old by next Oct for what little difference that is and has hunted with me here in MT extensively. But I'll be sure to pay attention to that point to make sure he would have a good time. What specifically about the units would make it difficult that you've seen, terrain, people, amount of walking?

Makes sense on the doe tags and build points. As for "buy 4 doe tags" that would be from the left over list correct? Or put in for doe tags?

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Will do, thanks for the tip. He will be 7.5yrs old by next Oct for what little difference that is and has hunted with me here in MT extensively. But I'll be sure to pay attention to that point to make sure he would have a good time. What specifically about the units would make it difficult that you've seen, terrain, people, amount of walking?

Makes sense on the doe tags and build points. As for "buy 4 doe tags" that would be from the left over list correct? Or put in for doe tags?

Thanks guys

I believe one of the units Bob is talking about is the walking and possibly the terrain somewhat. FYI you can only put in for a maximum of two doe permits in the draw. A maximum of four per person a year is allowed and it can be one or two in the draw and then others purchased as leftovers anywhere to make a total of four. You could also wait for the leftover list and buy all four that way with a savings of $14 per tag since no application fee is charged for leftovers.

Last edited:
I believe one of the units Bob is talking about is the walking and possibly the terrain somewhat. FYI you can only put in for a maximum of two doe permits in the draw. A maximum of four per person a year is allowed and it can be one or two in the draw and then others purchased as leftovers anywhere to make a total of four. You could also wait for the leftover list and buy all four that way with a savings of $14 per tag since no application fee is charged for leftovers.

gotcha, thank you

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back