First time elk hunt, CO or Utah?

Outofstate-r

Some buddies and I are planning on a diy backpack archery elk hunt. I was wondering what some of y'all would choose. We would like to have the opportunity at a elk , but I think we understand that this is the first trip and it would be just a bonus if we get a chance at one.

We are going to apply for units that we know that we will probably not get drawn for just to gain some points and then just purchase OTC. What state do you think has the most pressure when it comes to OTC areas and what state do you think the chances are best to see some elk (from afar or through a peep sight)?

Flattops take a few points to draw for NR I believe. You'll see elk there. 12, 23, 24 all have a ton of elk. That being said, archery success rates are low all over the state, compounded by the fact that you guys are coming from Alabama, and may never have hunted elk before. When you factor in how much you are going to spend in tags and fuel, and the fact that you "would really like to have an opportunity at an elk", I would consider bringing your rifle until you learn elk habitats. habits, and a particular area.

CO and UT both have great elk hunting. CO will be closer.

For an OTC elk tag, Colorado has a ton of opportunity and 23 million acres of public land. Some hard work will probably get you into elk. Killing one is always the bigger challenge in archery season. Good luck.

For an OTC elk tag, Colorado has a ton of opportunity and 23 million acres of public land. Some hard work will probably get you into elk. Killing one is always the bigger challenge in archery season. Good luck.

I think we are leaning towards Colorado for that reason. We also know a guy that has went for the last 16 yrs and killed something 12 of those yrs. We told him we would buy his tag if he went with us. ;)

CO for sure. Not a bad idea to start racking up UT points and start trying to draw limited entry tags.

You might also look at WY

Good luck.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back