First time AZ elk hunter (7E late)

GJHunter

I drew my first elk tag in AZ this year. It's a late season rifle bull tag in 7E. Does anyone have any insight into this area? Should I hunt them like Colorado elk or do they behave differently? My initial thoughts are to hike to the top of the Mtn and spike camp hunting the drainages. Thanks

Yep, I'm heading down Thanksgivings day for a week. I'm hauling my little pop up camper and atv but not planning on using them much.

Well I hunted that unit two years ago during the late hunt. Do you have any idea where you'll be hunting? I'm sure you have done a lot of research over the Internet but ill throw in a couple of things that I learned/know. There use to be a ton of roads open throughout the unit but a lot of them have been closed which should help your hunt. The elevation is very high so be prepared for wearing out quick and always remember to hydrate. The big bulls will stay high even if there is snow. There was about a foot on the ground when I was there and I saw many big bulls up high. Also if your hunting alone be aware of where you kill an elk because you have to haul it out. It do get pretty cold in the mornings and evening. The landscape is pine all the way down to juniper oh and oaks.

To answer your initial post; I don't think you will need to hunt utilizing a spike camp for the most part. There is a quiet area or wilderness area that you are not aloud to use motor vehicles in. This area get little hunting pressure and is a good area. There is one area that you can get up on and glass from but for the most part in pretty thick forest, that's on the mountain itself. If you decide to hunt the lower portion of the unit in the junipers there are many different areas you can glass from.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cityslicker
Back