Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

First Lite Clothing

MT_BWHTR

If there is a post on this already, please let me know. I looked but could not find much. I'm wondering if anyone uses the First Lite clothes at all? I'm looking at buying a set for warm weather turkey hunting to try out, which could also be used for for early elk hunting. Looking for a breathable set that I could throw a hoodie over if it get cooler. Any info would be appreciated!

I have some First Lite clothing , but what I have is more for colder weather. I've been very impressed with their clothing. I have a Merino wool hoodie from them and their Uncompahgre Puffy jacket. The jacket really impressed me, especially with its warmth to weight ratio. You maybe looking at other items from First Lite, but from my experience I would recommend their stuff.

I have the Llano T-shirt and Chama quarter zip long sleeve. Love them. But my favorite is the Uncompagre. It punches way above its weight class, so to speak. Light, extremely packable, water resistant (not rain gear, but certainly enough for a light shower or falling snow). Great cut and fit, especially for bow hunting. Even if you're going to wear a heavier jacket in really cold, sit in a treestand for hours type conditions, it's so light and packable, there's no reason to not have it in your pack also, shoujd you need it as an extra insulation later.

For late season spot and stalk or still hunting, it works great for me. Even when temps are in the 20's, if you're moving around a bit, or sitting for 20-30 minutes at a time, then moving around, I can stay warm all day.

Emrah

I wear mostly First Lite. For warm weather I like a llano base layer and a Chama hoody but I usually only have the Chama on until about 9 in the morning. For the pants I have both the Kanabs and Corrugates. I tend to wear the Corrugates in the warmer weather and Kanabs when it gets colder. I also keep the uncompahgre Within arms reach at all times, it is probably my favorite piece from them.

I got the Boundary Stormtight Jacket, the Kanab pants, and a few of their merino thermals. Overall I like them. I have had to send both the jacket and the pants back for warranty issues. Their customer service was excellent, but what concerns me was the fact that a $300 jacket and $200 pair of pants had to be replaced after one hunting trip.

I bought some of their merino base layers and wore them all winter at work. They seem to be holding up very well. I also bought the guide pants but have not tested them in a hunt yet.

Some Of the guys that I bow hunt elk with have their warm weather stuff and loved it. I only have the cold weather, North branch softshell pants. I really like them. But they are more for riding your horse on a November Elk hunt.

I do 10 - 12 day backpack hunting trips, and only take the First Lite clothes i'm wearing. Even after that long, very little stink. Love the Chama hoodie. The new stretch panels in the Kanab 2.0 were sorely needed. I like the Corrogate for early season. It has remarkably good DWR, until you press them against something wet, especially if you kneel on the ground. I'm pretty much all in on First Lite for my long trips. Works as advertised!

Love my kanab eve for warm weather. I also have the Halstead Tech Fleece a new non wool Fleece that should work great in warmer weather

How quiet is the uncompahgre puffy for bowhunting? I was thinking of getting one for late season bowhunting in Wisconsin but was concerned with it being too loud.

I have a fairly large set, capitalizing on sales the last few years. For the tree stand and super cold wx folks, I got the Sanctuary jacket and bibs this year.....and they are the warmest set of gear I have ever put on. They are quiet, but are not for walking far from the road.

The Corrugate pants should not be used in briars or thorns. Love my Halstead fleeces, and the Labrador sweater is really warm. I also have the North Branch jacket and bibs that I wear when kayaking in to my hunting locale, and have not gotten wet once.

I found I needed to get the tee shirts a size larger, but everything else pretty much fit true.

How quiet is the uncompahgre puffy for bowhunting? I was thinking of getting one for late season bowhunting in Wisconsin but was concerned with it being too loud.

It's not loud, but not silent either.

It's not a late season jacket. You'll be sorely disappointed if you are thinking it is a late season parka type coat. It's a great piece of clothing, but not a late season stand hunting piece of clothing.

I've got the Kanab 2, Chama and Halstead tech fleece. It's all good stuff. I can throw on a cheap polly blend t shirt and pack my Russell jacket and I'm set from August to December

I've almost completely switched over to First Lite, except for a few pairs of Sitka that I have. You can't go wrong with their gear, I use it when it's warm and cold and it's an A+ either way.

Back