Caribou Gear Tarp

First Elk hunt success....

AH64DMatt

Well, it's been a few weeks since I returned from my Elk hunt.

I can't say it wasn't a success, because I was amongst some of the most amazing animals and country I've ever seen. Postcards do nothing for Elk country.

One day, I was within 50 yards of a herd of 300-400 elk as they moved from their grazing lands to their bedding places. Only problem was that the military reservation I was hunting on decided to put a fence between me and the Elk, and I wasn't allowed to shoot across it. A few would say "shoot anyway", but I believe in ethical hunting, and was absolutely amazed by the sounds, sights and amazing experience I got to witness.

That made my trip. I mean it. I had several other encounters, all of which had problems with the shot, either too much yardage, half visibility, or fenceline problems.

The thing I most took away from the trip was an undaunted respect for the majesty of the animal, and the pride I walked away with for not doing anything illegal or immoral.

I learned that road hunting is evil, (which I witnessed), and the only way to have a completely wonderful experience is to put the work in.

God bless you all who do the right thing. Thanks for being good hunters... I hope that I can bag one next year, but if that doesn't happen, then the year after that...

Matt

Most folks only report their kill success. You reported your very successful hunt and I congratulate you for not only taking the time to truly enjoy your experience, but to share it. You will never forget the trophies that you collected on that hunt and I imagine that you are already planning your next hunt.

Glad you had a good time, hunting is not always about punching a tag.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back