First Deer!!

heiner39

This year is the second year I have ever gone after whitetail deer. About 10 years ago I go skunked and it's taken this long to finally get after them again. It was a tough slog through a lot of deep snow but the work finally paid off. I saw my buck with two does at about 275 yards. He allowed me to take a couple cracks at him before I finally connected. Unfortunately it hit one of his front legs and the chase was on. We tracked him for about a mile or so before I jumped in a truck while my buddy stayed on the track. I was taken around to the end of a long brush line and was told to wait there. Well with 10 minutes of legal shooting time left he walked out of the brush line and was heading to the next group of trees when I let loose with my 30-06 Savage from about 125 yards and hit him in the heart. He walked about 15 feet and dropped.

I was so happy when I got to him and saw how nice his rack really was. He wasn't a true Saskatchewan monster but his body was pretty decent and he had some nice horns on him.

This was the first deer I have ever taken and now I'm hooked. I can't wait until '08 now.

By the way...I was shooting 165 grain Federal Fusion and they performed really nicely. Great entry and exit...no wasted meat at all!!!

Attachments

• DSC02647.jpg
    DSC02647.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC02646.jpg
    DSC02646.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC02648.jpg
    DSC02648.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC02658.jpg
    DSC02658.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC02659.jpg
    DSC02659.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 205
Hell of a buck man! Quite the temperature contrast from where I just had my whitetail hunt (Coues) and probably alot less illegal aliens!:eek:

With Santa Claus (look at the red/white suit) for a partner, is it a lot easier to get close to the deer in the snow?

Nice buck, well done.

That is a great whitetail. Looks like a cold hunt.

The temperature had dropped to about 14 degrees when I finally shot him. It wasn't bad though because there was basically no wind and I had lots of layers on too. Besides...the adrenaline was pumping pretty hard and I didn't even notice that it was as cool as it was.

We were also tracking pretty hard and with snow that deep it warms a guy up in an awful hurry!!

With Santa Claus (look at the red/white suit) for a partner, is it a lot easier to get close to the deer in the snow?

Nice buck, well done.

We have dress codes in Saskatchewan for rifle hunting that consists of having to wear either blaze orange, white, yellow or red. They relaxed the regulations this year so a hunter only has to wear the color on top but after years of wearing those colors on the top and bottom it's no big deal. I prefer a suit of white but I know lots of guys who wear all orange too...just like my buddy in the picture.

I like the Santa Claus comment though...I'll have to bug him about that.

Back