Caribou Gear Tarp

First 08 Goose Hunt

smalls

Finally big game season is over and I can concentrate on some hunting I don't suck at :D

I don't think a guy could have diagrammed this hunt any better than it happened. I had planned on hunting this field by myself this morning as I've seen 25-30 geese using it for the better part of a week now. Last night when I stopped to check exactly where they were feeding at, I was surprised to see that there was now 250-300 using the field. So I called a few guys and only one buddy could go out on short notice. We showed up at the field around 6:30 am, threw out 3 or 4 dozen decoys and stubbled the blinds. With our late fall, the ground wasn't frozen so we were actually able to dig down about 18 inches to create a small pit for the dog.

The birds worked perfectly and after fouling our barrels on the first flock (we did kill 1 a piece, but it wasn't impressive), neither one of us missed for the next 6 shells. We were picked up and out of the field by 9:15. The dog (not mine) is still trying to figure out where to grab a goose at, but I was impressed it held like a statue even we had birds landing in the dekes less than 10 yards away.

Dec1108Geese.jpg

Nice job, but when you are eating those things, don't forget I suggested the "don't shoot" option.

Nice job, but when you are eating those things, don't forget I suggested the "don't shoot" option.

I'll be honest Oak, I don't plan on panfrying those babies with a sprig of rosemary...BUT goose actually makes up very well in sausage and jerky. I've made meatballs out of ground goose that was a fan favorite (err...favourite?)too.

Unfortunately (and I do mean that), I had one bird that was far too destroyed to make into anything I would consume.

Smalls,

They also make really good French Dip sandwhiches. Put the meat in the crock pot with some chicken broth and bullion and let them cook all day. When you get home, mix up some au Jus sauce, add a little horseradish to a french roll or hoagie.

I actually have people ask for me to make that meal....

Smalls,

They also make really good French Dip sandwhiches. Put the meat in the crock pot with some chicken broth and bullion and let them cook all day. When you get home, mix up some au Jus sauce, add a little horseradish to a french roll or hoagie.

I actually have people ask for me to make that meal....

Is that beef or chicken bullion?

Nice hunt Smalls,

We are covered up in Geese, the big honkers too. I even found a Quill yesterday when I was out scouting.

I had to get prior approval for these pics.
quill.jpg

Even found a couple of lost snows
PC071811.jpg

Cut the breasts into finger steaks and put into a brine of Morton's Tenderquick and water. Half a cup of curing salt to a gallon water. Brine over night and when ready to cook rinse them well and pat dry. Grill them on a HOT grill until just pink in the middle. Serve them with three or four different dipping sauces. People gobble them up.

I say SHOOT.

Nemont

Ok, We served Goose in a Wild Rice dish last night at the office party....but did you notice ya'll are doing everything you can to mask the taste of those Geese? I cooked a Gumbo out of some Geese for a Superbowl Party and for the first 7 hours I thought I was making Liver Gumbo! Nice Birds, I think the best way is to stuff them...wings in a landing position! John

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back