Caribou Gear Tarp

Father Time

375H&H

Elk tag in wolf and grizz country? Check

Brand new wall tent? Nope, will have it for next year, store closes at noon on Friday.

Heavy mountain rifle in century old caliber that feeds like butter? Check

44 mag side piece for tent and after the kill? Check

Stubborn dad refuses to bring his camera he bought specifically for hunting? Check, he says he won’t use it.

Last edited:
Wolf, bear, and deer tags? Check, it’s big country, never know what you may see.

Bear spray? Nope, I’m cutting
ounces.

Extra game seen? 3 trophy bull moose, one monster bison, and a lead on a high country bison bull. Taking notes if/when I ever get to hunt them again.

Dad still has it at 66 in rugged elk country? Check, though slower than me. I realized how little that would actually affect one’s success when the elk move up to 3 hours after/before sunrise/sunset.

Elk call? Check, bugling bulls that instantly divulge their location after a toot on the hoochie mama are insatiably fun.

Weather? Check, rainy and windy every day except the final day.

Camp food? Check, steaks, local made brats, white chicken chili, lasagna, ravioli, mini Walmart pies. None of that freeze dried chit when at base camp.

Technical outerwear? Check, black jeans, wool pants, wool sweater, wool neck gaiter, wool gloves, wool beanie. Despite all of this “new, improved, technical gear” wool still works after hundreds of years. Go figure.

Elk? Check, 7 pt bull seen first day and could have been easily killed had I not been dicking around and wanted the hunt to last longer.

Sounds like one heck of quality father/son hunt.:) Rooting for the two of you.

Found the elk, got him to bugle around his 32 cows. Set up on a blown over root wad. No idea on the distance, just knew he was in range. 250gr ttsx from the 375 and he rolled within 30 yards. Dad sat above me 50 yards and saw/heard the whole thing. Incredible.

The next day during packout, about 3 miles. Consciously decided against bringing my 44 into the carcass as highly unlikely anything found it overnight. We were right but still regret that decision.

IMG_4644.jpeg

Damn it. You’ve got me second guessing keeping the peep site on the 375. Nice work, enjoy the time with your dad.

Damn it. You’ve got me second guessing keeping the peep site on the 375. Nice work, enjoy the time with your dad.
I have a Williams fire sight ghost ring on mine and quick detach scope. For close quarters/dangerous game, can’t be beat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back