Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Family outings this last week.

IdahoBugler

We had a manditory 2 weeks off from work for the holidays. One week was used up for a family Christmas trip but the last week was up for whatever. The boy really wanted to do some outdoorsy stuff so here are a few pics of some of the outings.

Most the lakes were frozen so we went and did some jump shooting for some ducks. I don't own a hunting dog so here is my hunting dog retrieving some of the ducks. We pumped up his little raft and I pushed him out to retrieve them. No paddles so I told him to use his hands to move towards the ducks. Can you believe his hands got cold. :rolleyes:

Anyway we got them and had a nice woodie drake in the bunch.
P1070377.jpg

P1070384.jpg

P1070386.jpg

P1070394.jpg

P1070397.jpg

Since we are still on ducks here are a few that I got this afternoon. 4 drake mallards, 1 hen mallard and a hen red head.
P1070576.jpg

Our next outing was up to do some ice fishing. It was pretty warm out but we were glad to see that through the first layer of snow and sluch we found about 8 inches of ice. It was a blast and we caught about 30 fish.

P1070422.jpg

P1070424.jpg

P1070427.jpg

The wind was pretty cold so we built a little wall to block it. Here is my buddy Von and Kawika eating lunch.
P1070430.jpg

P1070455.jpg

P1070456.jpg

P1070461.jpg

The ones we kept.
P1070476.jpg

Kawika didn't want to go so I told him he could fish while we packed up. He caught a real nice trout to finish off an awesome day.
P1070481.jpg

P1070492.jpg

Our last trip was up to hunt coyotes. We found two yotes but just out of range. We did find these deer while out and about.

P1070494.jpg

P1070536.jpg

P1070541.jpg

P1070547.jpg

The buck in the bottom of the pic had already shed his horns. We did a little sweep in hopes of finding it but came up empty.
P1070563.jpg

Nice work, IB. Looks like you two had a pretty memorable week.

Can't believe it's almost shed hunting season again...

Cool pics....uh... actually, cold pics. Looks like a good week. Thats the way to keep'em interested.

Nice work....now send some of those ducks down here to AZ already!

To keep his hands a little warmer you should talk him into bringing his fishing pole along with a top water plug to retrieve those birds ;)

Nice potpourri of outdoor activies.:D

What's up with the redhead? Looks like she was lost if that was the habitat she was hanging out in.;)

Very cool story and pics Bugler. If there is anything better than a thread like this, let me know what it is, as I want to see it.

When that kid gets to hunting age, he will have already spent more days in the field/blind than most adults ever will.

Great job.

Great post IB, looks like Idaho has a lot to offer.Way to take advantage of it.

Cool pics. Those trout must put up a damn good fight on a jig pole. Are they natural or planted fish?
I havent' been on the ice yet, gonna change that this weekend

Thanks for the nice comments fellas. It was a lot of fun that is for sure.

Nice work....now send some of those ducks down here to AZ already!

To keep his hands a little warmer you should talk him into bringing his fishing pole along with a top water plug to retrieve those birds ;)
We have enough to send your way that's for sure. I used too bring a fishing pole but this stuff is so thick you can't cast over hand. I figured once he was in the boat we wouldn't need a pole but one would have been nice right then.

Nice potpourri of outdoor activies.:D

What's up with the redhead? Looks like she was lost if that was the habitat she was hanging out in.;)
I don't know much about ducks but when I shot her she was coming out of a bunch of brush. I thought for sure it was a hen wood duck. When I got it I was like what the heck is this. After some research I found it was a redhead. The beak gave it away.

I was out helping a buddy set his trap line last Sat and we also say a few bucks only carring one antler. I cant wait to start picking up horns!!! Great pics thanks for posting!

IB,
How a old is your boy?.......ditto what fin said that is truly what it is all about!! can't wait to get mine out there!

My son surprised me on Sunday by asking if we could go to the range. He usually is most interested in hunting, not "just" shooting. Also, it is an underground range at my club, and the muzzle blast tends to bother him. The biggest gun I took was the Mini-14, which he loves to shoot. Otherwise, it was the .22 LRs and .22 mag.

I also took some prairie dog targets, as he enjoys shooting those more than bulls-eyes. You know, hitting them in the nuts, in an eye, etc.... ;)

I'm fortunate to be able to offer the opportunities to him that I grew up with. We have the club property up in Ventura and access to my friend's ranch down in Anza, so I am able to let him wander around with a rifle and a sidearm. He can pop jackrabbits, ground squirrels, lizards and such, as well as call coyotes and bobcats and game in season within a couple of hours from home. Unusual for a kid in So Cal.

THere is a pond on the Anza ranch that often holds some mallards - we are going to get after them before the season ends.

Those raft pictures are great. Reminds me of some of the stuff my dad used to make me and my brother do (before we got a dog). Good stuff IB.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back