Ethics ?

Hell NO...

I may never hunt with him again, though...Depends on how serious I consider the violation....

Probably not but would ultimately depend on the infraction, but he might wish I had...there would be no unspoken feelings.

Two years ago while hunting with my hunting buddy we jumped what I saw as three good Mulie bucks, I swung on one, dropped the hammer...and I had shot a Doe for which I had no Tag. Ethics? I think it's how you want people to view how you carry yourself when you know you have done wrong. I told my Buddy to follow the Ridge we were on and I had a hike to the camp to call the Game Warden. I was told to pack out the Doe and wait for him to reach me. He had been chasing Hunters that were shooting spike bulls as cow all morning, I was unsure to say the least. We sat in his truck as he explained all the different levels of fines, if I remember there are 10 levels and I got the lowest because I had done everything by the book, both legally and Ethically. So now if a buddy were to make a mistake, he knows just what I expect out of him as a man and a Hunter. John PS: My buddy caught up with those three Bucks and shot a 180 class Mulie!

"but would ultimately depend on the infraction"

Thanks for the offer Tom. Good morning .

I think I would convey my feelings and give them the option to do it themselves. I hunt with a gamewarden so I wouldn't have to go very far. Depending on the infraction I probably would not hunt with them again. I have taught my family members when in doubt don't shoot.

First off I don't hunt or hang with people that would willingly do that. But, if something bad happened i.e. wrong sex, not legal, ranchers cow, etc, if your with me it's going to be handle by the authorites. I'm with DRAFTSUD on this one and I think he handled it correctly, and was treated fairly by the law.

PS: If your there, then you’re an accessory, like it our not…. hump

i would try to gt them to turn them selves in. i never thought much on this issue until a couple of years ago. a neighbor of mine shot 2 pigs with a 1 per day limit.5 of us were hunting together and he assumed one of us would say we shot the other pig.someone had seen him shoot both pigs and went to find the game warden.( he was pissed because we were hunting his block on public land) :confused: .when we dragged the first pig out the game warden asked where the other pig was and my neighbor tried to play it off as there was only one. finally he admitted that he shot 2, he was allowed to keep the hogs but encded up with a heafty fine.it put me in an awkward situation because i was helping him.later that season he shot a doe and snuck it out without getting caught. i dont hunt with those guys anymore because of there gross disrespect for the law.

We all make mistakes. Hell, I've got a ton under my belt. It's what we do afterwards that shows the true character of a person. I'd hope the people I share the field with are of such character as to face up to a mistake and do what is right. I'd rather take a spanking than live with a lie.

Buzz,

Another way to look at it would be on a pass through. Depending on where you hunt (dense forest) there could be that unseen animal in the background.

Back