Elk Question

HighDesertSage

I got out this weekend and did some scouting. I was working my way close to the top of a ridge that runs N to S. At one point the ridge kind of turns to the SE, making for a NW facing slope. At this point I blew out 5 elk ( at least that's what I saw). It's pretty thick in there, and they really didn't know what I was, and the wind was favorable. I was able to stop, and turn around a 5x5 bull and a spike with a cow call. I brought the 5x5 back to withing 50 yards and had him broad side for about a minute. After watching for maybe another minute I was able to back out of there undetected ( I think ). So here is my question. What are the chances that bull is going to be there in about two weeks when my season opens? Are all bets off given the amount of time? Something is telling me that opening morning I may want to do the exact same walk. They have food, water, and cover back there. Very little hunting pressure. It's 5 miles from any vehicle traffic. It was closing weekend of muzzy and I didn't see any other hunters, although there was one rig with a horse trailer parked there.

Any advice, opinions, suggestions, I'm all ears. It wasn't a large bull but I would be very thankful to hang my tag on him. Thanks

I'm not an expert by any means but if no arrows or shots were fired, wind was in your favor, not seen, and very to little hunting pressure I would for sure be going back there and doing the same walk. Good Luck!

Anyplace you have seen elk is a good place to start. The distance from your vehicle alone will keep
most other hunters away from your spot.
Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back