Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Elk meat frozen

Pagosa

Has anyone ever had an elk freeze while removing it from the field before it was processed? And how did effect the taste of the meat. I thawed out half in front of a wood stove today and got it processed at home. I'm thinking the other half might go to the meat locker and allow it to unthaw slower. Any recommendations? Thanks - Preston

I remember as a kid going back in with my dad to get the remainder of an elk out after a solid week of below zero weather. He had quartered it and left the hide on to protect it from the birds. He put the hide side out and the other side was against the tree hanging. We had to axe it from away from the tree and it was solid as a rock. I don't recall it affecting it in any way. You should be just fine. Lots of guys, especially during archery, will bone something out then put it i the freezer until they can get around to processing it.

I had a cow moose freeze quite quickly on me after I had it quartered but before processing. Flavor wise it was fine. Texture wise it was very tough. I asked a few others about it who had similar experiences (frozen very quickly due to extreme cold and tough texture). Someone told me it turns out tough when it freezes before rigor sets in and the muscles have a chance to relax again. Don't know if there's any truth in that or not. Had a bison freeze solid on me that turned out fine but it was skinned and hanging a couple days before freezing.

Being from Michigan, I usually let mine cool naturally, then put it in my freezer, and get it pretty much froze for the trip home. then thaw it, and process it.
it tastes fine to me. I have done it like that for years.

Kevin

Thanks to everyone. I just didnt want it to get ruined. I'm thankful it will turnout good.

My elk was tough when if froze, but I'm not positive that was the reason. I had hung the hind legs and they froze completely though overnight. The rest of the meat was in garbage bags and buried in snow. It didn't freeze at all.

I have had a few frozen and the only real problem is if it was not skinned. Last year it was -28 when we got 2 cows and they were frozen by the time we got them home the next day. I did not see any affect to the meat at all.

I have had a few frozen and the only real problem is if it was not skinned. Last year it was -28 when we got 2 cows and they were frozen by the time we got them home the next day. I did not see any affect to the meat at all.

I shot two cows a few years back in -20's. Had to leave em in the field overnight where it dipped to -35. Froze SOLID. Had to use warm water to get them skinned, then hung in a cooler for a few weeks to slowly thaw out. Was a pain in the butt but they tasted great.

Can't speak for elk, but not many things suck more than skinning a frozen deer. I expect it would be worse.

As far as meat, I don't see it being an issue. I always freeze my trimmings (bowhunt) and deal with them in the middle of winter. Only thing I do is place the meat on a grate, as the freezing/thawing process allows for the moisture and blood to release from meat. (If you don't, you end up with a bunch of watery blood marinating your meat.)

should have no problems with the meat, but it should get a little more aging so it will be tender, mine made a big difference when I one froze, and cooled one for about 5 days

Thanks for comments. I took the other half to the processor this morning due too my work schedule. The processor said the frozen quarters can trap in heat, which I don't how this would be possible since it froze within a couple 3-4 hours in the middle of the day. Anyhow it should turnout fine.

As noted it doesn't generally make difference, but it has made a huge difference if I'm pressure canning it. The texture gets pretty chalky. I just burger/roast/steak what I've frozen.

we freeze everything we kill during the season...usually don't have time to butcher it before going back to work after a weekend. we usually get together in jan/feb and thaw everything out, butcher, and process ourselves. ours always turns out just fine, and i don't think it affects it one bit.

We ate some rounds steaks from the bull and the deep freeze didn't effect the taste or texture at all. It is very good elk meat.

I try to hang my elk for anywhere from 10 days to a month under the right temps so I do everything I can to avoid freezing it before it can hang and age. Freezing will stop the aging process and should only effect your meat if you have shot an old rutty bull or tough cow. But then again if most of it is going into burger or sausage then it wouldn't matter either way

A bull we shot this year (last week) froze. It was killed at last light in 0 degree temps, and the lows got down to -8 or so where he was at. Quarters hide on laying on the sage brush with the exposed side facing up.

Obviously did not spoil, but could be why the meat seemed a little tougher than most 5 points should be.

Back