Elk cooler

pointingdogsrule

Hopefully I'll be lucky and bag an elk in a few weeks. The trip from New Mexico to Iowa is two days. "IF" I get a bull will the 400 quart Grizzly cooler that I have be enough to hold a "quartered" elk and all the meat that New Mexico law requires. I'm cheap so I will process it when I get back to Iowa. The cooler will also contain frozen milk jugs for cooling.

Thanks in advance.

good luck to all
the dog

It should but you'll need to drink those 300 bottles of Michelob Light first.:)

The Grizzly 400 was designed for the serious big game hunter, big-game fisherman and guides. Its huge capacity is perfect at base camp. It can hold up to 3 quartered elk, it’s payload is that big and guides love it. The base is designed with two fork lift pockets for easier loading and unloading after it’s filled to capacity. Here’s where the strength of our super strong RotoTough™ plastic and superior engineered channel design really shines. Filled to the maximum with Ecomate foam for an ice retention of over 19 days, you can stay afloat for as long as you like. In the IGBC Grizzly Bear Certification test, the grizzly bear gave up, it’s that durably and Grizzly strong. The Grizzly 400, for a lifetime.

Grizzly 400 Capacity:

500 - 12 oz. cans: 300 - 12 oz. bottles
200 - 20 oz. bottles; 350 lbs of game
SIZE - Weight: 90 lbs., 54.5" Wide x 30.75" Deep, 32" Height

Ice Retention:

The ice retention time for a Grizzly 400 Cooler, rated at 19 days and 10 hours.

*forklift optional

Yes, definitely debone it just for meat quality. The 400 quart will be way enough for the ice and elk. I put a moose in 2, 200-quart Colemans and had plenty of room to spare for ice. I had right at 300 pounds of boned out, processed meat. You will not have but about 140-200 pounds depending on the size of the bull you get.

You will be just fine. I use 2, 120 qt coolers for Elk every year and gas station ice. Meat will be fine on the bone. Been doing that for 40 years.

You cant be that cheap if you own a 700 dollar cooler :)

DON: They make the coolers in a town 10 miles away. Once a year they have a "seconds sale". Coolers with slight damage..... mostly cosmetic. They work just fine & the discount price is really nice.

good luck to all
the dog

Yes, definitely debone it just for meat quality. The 400 quart will be way enough for the ice and elk. I put a moose in 2, 200-quart Colemans and had plenty of room to spare for ice. I had right at 300 pounds of boned out, processed meat. You will not have but about 140-200 pounds depending on the size of the bull you get.

Just curious what you mean by meat quality being better off bone? I leave mine on the bone whenever possible, always thought it stayed cleaner taking it apart back in civilization. Curious if I'm overlooking something.

Just curious what you mean by meat quality being better off bone? I leave mine on the bone whenever possible, always thought it stayed cleaner taking it apart back in civilization. Curious if I'm overlooking something.

For one thing, if you have any heat when you kill your animal,the meat will rot from the bone out. Those big bones that elk have hold a lot of heat.

I should have re-phrased that, though. What is more important to me is that there is no legit reason to haul all that extra weight out of the woods. In fact, Colorado prefers that you do not, due to the CWD stuff (which is irrelevant as far as I am concerned).

If you pack it on horses, then I guess it is no big deal to have all those heavy bones, but everything that I ever killed has come out on my back and I am not about to pack that junk out of the mountains.

The only reason that I can see to haul out full quarters, is if you have some dogs at home that love to lay around the yard and chew on heavy bones!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back