Dumping Onx maps app, need help with picking dedicated GPS

TheSurveyor

So I really like my Onx map app on my phone at first. It worked well, loved the ability to use the big screen and the aerial imagery is awesome. But the last few yrs it has gone down hill and not dependable. And as of late it completely fried two brand new Samsung Galaxy 7s. Phone was great no problems then downloaded the app and started using it and melt down. Luckily Verizon sent me a new one both times for free under warranty.

So I'm going back to the dedicated GPS and I like the Montana for the size and touch screen. I will still probably buy a onx chip since they seem to be just fine. My questions are layers and imagery. Is there a way to run aerial imagery with the chip? Also can I download the extra layers from onx and load to the GPS? For example my app would show walk in access but my buddy's chip didn't.

I know Garmin has their own aerial imagery option. How easy is it to flip back and forth from onx to Garmin maps during use in the field? Also do you have to keep the subscription active from Garmin or is it download and use as long as you want until you want to update?

Or is there another better option I'm not aware of?

Just to bad Onx went the profit route and left the customer service in the dust. I've talked to them several times and never get much out of them. I was really upset when they did away with the ability to store to and SD card. One day that option was gone and I did everything under the sun to figure it out on my end and finally reached out to them. Their response was "sorry we took that feature away"....

I can't say anything bad about OnXMaps, service has been impeccable. And as for the app burning a phone, I hadn't heard that either.

There are plenty of threads about GPS selection, and if you search you'll find lots of suggestions and thoughts. Actual use of Garmin Basecamp and the digital satellite imagery is seamless and easy. I recommend it myself.

And you can't do better than OnXMaps for anything related.

I have an Oregon 600 and love it. Get the rechargeable batteries.

Doesn't the Galaxy S7 explode on its own without the onxmaps app?

Jokes aside... The onxmaps app was decent for me last season but I think the phone mapping technology has a long way to go. I was using mine in areas without cell service and even though I was saving the maps for offline use the functionality still wasn't great.

I might look into a dedicated gps for next season.

I know a lot of people hate the battery drain that happens on a phone but that can be mitigated if you turn your 4g off. Or if you want to keep it on just grab a $10 portable usb charger for the field. One of those should be in your pack no matter what.

I guess I should have kept my soggy cheerios about the app out of it. I've just been disappointed that the app was Awesome when I first started using and I told everyone how great it was. Then it seemed like after about 2yrs or so problems started creeping in and then they launched the hikers version and the desktop option and left me with the opinion that they couldn't keep all the platforms running at top shelf and instead of keeping the Awesome going they were looking to sell more products to new people. Now I still love the product and I'm going to probably end up with the chip.

My real questions are integration of the Garmin aerial imagery with the chip and if it's a annual subscription to keep downloaded data active. Two: being can you grab the additional layers like in the app and add to the chip through the desktop platform?

I've thumbed through the GPS threads before I posted. I'm not really looking for help on picking one. As I said I'm going with the Montana. Just wanted to know about the imagery and lays.

You do keep the downloaded imagery, how long I don't know. My gap was a few months and it was still functional. the overlay can be turned off on the Oregon. you can click on the area and it pulls up the owner info from the chip. There's always a coupon floating around for it, so for the $20 it costs a year, its more than worth it.

if interested in the Inreach units...the service plan comes with AWESOME and non-buggy mapping software plus aerial photo for your phone (earthmate is name of phone app).

I have found the garmin aerial photos (birdseye) you can load onto a regular GPSunit (garmin oregon 550 in my case) to be almost useless and hard to see in the field. but has been a couple years since I tried so maybe better now.

the aerial photos you get with an inreach servoce plan are fabulous while hunting, super quick and easy to download onto a phone, and manage. everyone knows the Onx aerial photos amd maps are slow and painful to download and manage.

I've thumbed through the GPS threads before I posted. I'm not really looking for help on picking one. As I said I'm going with the Montana. Just wanted to know about the imagery and lays.

I have used the Montana since they came out. I use imagery from TopoFusion sent direct to my gps. Depending on the file size I may do additional work to that file or my gps so it fits. I use G-Raster for converting some map and geopdf files so I can use those on the gps as well. All this is in addition to the huntinggpsmaps sd card (onX state chip). I have not used the Garmin sd card that has topo and sat imagery all on a single chip. I have heard the same thing Khunter mentioned, the imagery (birdseye) isn't very good.

I have found over the years, the best base layer for my GPS is still the state chip from OnX.

I love the concept of OnX as well, but we had major problems last year with it which included frying a Galaxy. Has anyone tried the Gaia app? Sorry to highjack the thread with that question, but thought it might be worthwhile.

I used Gaia last year for the first time. It works absolutely perfect. You can upload map overlays, sat images, USFS maps, and a couple other options if you upgrade to the monthly service. I was reading somewhere that they are adding land owner overlays as well. I was using a Garmin 450 before trying the phone route and see no reason to carry that small screened, battery sucking, brick ever again. My hunting partner was all about using his OnX and how great it was. The first day of a 10 day hunt it crapped out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back