Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Drew Idaho unit 29 rifle bull elk

IDsageStalker

Any suggestions for starting points in this unit? I live about 6 hours away so any tips other than "the wolves have ruined that unit" would be awesome! Can't wait for my first elk hunt!

Elk are all over the unit. It's a good tag, good dates and you can locate them bugling. Good luck and take some pics when you're there to post to hunt talk.

I was just hiking in this unit July 2nd and 3rd. Beautiful Country! I fought fire in Salmon for 3 summers and took my Fiance out to show her Idaho. After talking with some friends around Salmon 29 is the unit I will hunt when I saw up the money to bow hunt it.

From what I understand later into the season the elk head up and over into unit 37a since they winter in the pahsimeroi. Thats about the bulk I can tell you. I have a few drainages that have been recommeded to me but those are more bow season areas from what I have been told.

But honestly you live 6 hours away!!! If I was you I would be up there at least 1 weekend a month scouting. That makes me so jealous just to think about being only 6 hours away! Its a 19 hour drive for me and once I have the vacation and money saved up I will even make a scouting trip that summer before just to make sure there are some elk in the drainages I want to hunt come bow season! Im talking $400+ just in gas money for me to do that! I wish you the best of luck though! Should be a fun hunt!!

yeah, That was my bad. its way more manageable at that distance. I work full time and my wife has crazy hours being in the military, and we have two very young children so it just takes alot of coordinating to get away for a weekend. I will be out scouting a few times before the season. I've just never been over on that side of the state so I figured someone might be able to say something vaguely helpful like Wisco.

Sage

Check lots of aerial photos too. I haven never hunted elk before and to be honest know only what I have read about hunting them in about a dozen books along with watching elk hunts online or on tv. You can find whatever type of country you like to hunt in that unit though.

The info I was given pretty much told me the north end of the unit was a little more open the middle had more dark timber and the southern end opened up a little again. I was told there are outfitters in Timber Creek and 12 miles creek so probably best to stay out of those areas since they know them well and will have people in the best spots. Timber is down south and 12 mile up north.

Been studying aerial photos and terrain maps like I'm getting paid for it. found some different 10-15 square mile areas i'm going to go look over in the coming weeks. it's a pretty roaded unit but i dont know which ones will be open in october, and everyone I've called to ask has been less than knowledgeable. there is an open archery any elk tag before my hunt so im thinking the elk may be pushed more into the timber/middle by my hunt. still super excited, getting into better Elk shape now, did 400 stairs with a 60lb sandbag on my shoulders last night, I'm expecting this terrain to be brutal.

My favorite units to hunt are just on the other side of the road, 30 and 30A. Call IDFG in Salmon and ask to talk to Tom Keegan, or email him, he has always been a good guy to talk with about the area. Have specific questions/areas in mind when you talk with him.

My favorite units to hunt are just on the other side of the road, 30 and 30A. Call IDFG in Salmon and ask to talk to Tom Keegan, or email him, he has always been a good guy to talk with about the area. Have specific questions/areas in mind when you talk with him.

FYI Tom Keegan no longer works for IF&G according to the Salmon Office.

Back