Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Dove season

I love shooting and eating the little buggers, but it always seems like we get a frosty night or two the last week of August here and that drives most of them south. In my youth, we'd hunt geese in the mornings, go eat some breakfast at a local cafe then drive out to sunflower or bean fields and pass shoot doves til our shoulders were sore.

On a side note, I saw a collared dove in Helena about 3 weeks ago. Man, they are huge compared to a mourning dove!

Seem to be a fair census of em 'round here. They usually make pretty good rain magnets opening weekend. Enjoy shooting & eating them also.

Yeah, fellow dove hunter here...starts Sept 1st as well.
There's a lot of them around so far this year...just hope we dont get that 'last of august" cool wet period that sends a lot of them south. I like to shoot (at) 'em...figure I shoot as many shells at doves each year as everything else combined. filet the breasts...good eat'en on the smoker w/piece of bacon on a tooth pick...cook'em real slow in smokey indirect heat.

I'm jealous no dove season in Iowa but every surrounding state has one.Maybe someday?

We have them thick on the eastern shore of Maryland. Our club plants four fields and two or three will produce multiple good hunts.

We open the season like "smalls" with resident geese in the am and dove all afternoon. It doesn't get much better than that.

September 1 must be the date because that is our opener here in Kansas as well.

They are a great warm up to the season. Nothing like sitting a pond and having waves of dove come into water.

We even have a season for asian collared dove now.

I am there!

filet the breasts...good eat'en on the smoker w/piece of bacon on a tooth pick...cook'em real slow in smokey indirect heat.
...add a few jalapeno slivers to above.

...or deep fry with egg wash and salt & peppered flour...make gravy with the cracklins and hearts...freakin yum.

What kind of limits are we talking , Md went from 6 a day to 15. I also found out that Del went to Steel shot this year so I figure Md will follow suit next year. I have a case of shells so I will be doing a lot of shooting this year.

I use a 69 Model 870 wing master 16 Gage with adjustable chock. Great gun to bad shoulders.
as long as I don't mistakenly insert a box of high brass. OUCH !

opening day on public land

What a riot ! over 100 shooters, Had a great time watching birds get hammered, one flight of about 12-15 bird tried the gauntlet from one end to the other and only 3 survived by bobbing and weaving. At times the sound of shots was deafening as you look across the sea of brown limp sunflowers and see shotguns pointed to the shy and white wads dropping around unsuspected shooters and then get a hail of pellets dropping around you. The day was fun and un eventful as all shooters keep their gun high and shot at appropriate levels so not to pull a Chaney. We did get a visit from two DNR guys in uniform. They walked one side turned and walk all the way around the field and then they were gone checking every one but the 7 guys standing around with me. One poor old soul did get a $500 slammer for shooting over the road. I was told.
It's been many years since I dared venture into public land for an opener but I must say I had a blast. I did manage 4 birds maybe 7, guys were walking to birds they thought they shot and I did the same. But it was all good.

My son Jarrod and 2 year old Jack and my buddy who talked me into this fiasco.

Attachments

• CIMG0136.JPG
    CIMG0136.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 82
  • CIMG0135.JPG
    CIMG0135.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 85
Back