MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Deer in Idaho

frustrated in Calif

I am from Calif and would like to hunt deer in Idaho next year. I plan to go near McCall. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to hunt? It looks like alot of the area is wilderness and would require horses. I do not have horses and will rely on my truck and quad.

Anything in particular that is pointing you to the McCall area and which directions around McCall are you looking at? There are some pretty significant habitat differences depending upon which direction you really are from McCall.

I have very limited knowledge of the McCall area and no knowledge of other areas. I was thinking north of McCall up Hwy 21. Also possibly east and northeast of McCall but not set on any particular area. East of McCall appears to have fairly limited access by vehicle, especially during the late fall and winter because of snow. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

McCall is no-where near Hwy 21.... Even if they show "50 miles" from McCall to Hwy 21, it might as well be a million miles away, as you can't get to Hwy 21 from McCall without some long round-about driving, or some pretty long hours on FS roads.

Instead of relying on your truck and your quad, have you considered relying on your boots and your legs? You can find deer anywhere in Idaho if you are willing to hike a mile past where the Fat-Assed ATV riders are....

I work around McCall quite a bit...I'd try the area around Pollock Mountain. Just last week I saw a 135 class whitetail and a 150 class mule deer up there. Theres a decent Motorcycle trail into that country. The best looking stuff I saw was on the North Side of the Rapid River...one big ridge in particular. Theres an old burn on part of it and its really open in the upper parts. I think it would be a real bitch to get in there, but it would likely be well worth it.

Saw lots of elk sign too, more than I expected to see. Also saw the fresh tracks of 3...possibly 4 wolves walking the same ridge we were on.

And you guys who already hunt around Pollock Mtn can address your letters to Buzz H., Laramie, WY. :D

I am not intending on road hunting but I do need to get my gear to camp. It is a little difficut to strap a canvas wall tent to your back.

And you guys who already hunt around Pollock Mtn can address your letters to Buzz H., Laramie, WY. :D

I don't think Buzz gave out any secrets... That is good country up there.

Interesting perspective on distances, but I would never have thought of Pollock Mtn and the North side of Rapid River as being anywhere near McCall..... Those all drain to the Salmon River, where "near McCall" would mean "drains to the Payette River" in my myopic geography....

Judging from the amount of traffic in that area...I'd say its no secret, just a starting point to get a person into some worthwhile country.

It would be a great place to glass from and find some other areas...but like I said, you'll work to get into most of it...and a vast, vast majority will take one look and forget it.

I see so much country every year I'd like to try...it would take 10 lifetimes to hunt them all. I dont mind sharing some general information, not many people find hunting areas on their own anyway.

Ya it is good, big country but not a secret. Get up high and start glassing. leave wall tent at home and pack back in. lots better in there then by the roads. Not much for quads back in there, more motorcycle!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back