CT 180 Partitions

elkhnter

Found a box of Combined Technology 180 Partitions that I bought sometime. Thinking about using them to work up a Partition load for a 300 Weatherby and a 300 saum.
Anyone ever used them? How much differently do they shoot than regular Partitions?
Like to use them up and not waste a lot of time and powder and end up with no useable information.

They were a joint venture between Winchester and Nosler, and haven't been sold in quite some time. They differ a bit from regular partitions, but should still perform well. As I recall, these bullets had the partition moved a bit forward, and also had a piece of steel added to the back side of the partition.

As I recall they were decent bullets but didn't sell well. I couldn't see any reason to switch to them from my regular Partitions, and perhaps that was the reaction of quite a few shooters/hunters?

Since you've got them, give 'em a try, see how they shoot from your rifle.

Regards, Guy

They were a joint venture between Winchester and Nosler, and haven't been sold in quite some time. They differ a bit from regular partitions, but should still perform well. As I recall, these bullets had the partition moved a bit forward, and also had a piece of steel added to the back side of the partition.

As I recall they were decent bullets but didn't sell well. I couldn't see any reason to switch to them from my regular Partitions, and perhaps that was the reaction of quite a few shooters/hunters?

Since you've got them, give 'em a try, see how they shoot from your rifle.

Regards, Guy
I could be wrong, but I think what you’re referring to were Failsafes. Most CT products like Accubonds and Silvertips are identical to the original except with a Lubalox coating.

Regardless, I can’t imagine that they’d bounce off of a deer or elk. Theoretically they should generate a little less pressure than the non coated variety at a given powder weight

Reactions: Guy
Guy is right. They were different from the standard Partitions, they had a steel cup in the shank.
Fail Safes were copper bullets with a cavity in the base that had lead in it.

I could be wrong, but I think what you’re referring to were Failsafes. Most CT products like Accubonds and Silvertips are identical to the original except with a Lubalox coating.

Regardless, I can’t imagine that they’d bounce off of a deer or elk. Theoretically they should generate a little less pressure than the non coated variety at a given powder weight
They’re not Failsafes, have a box of them too.
Just looking to start working towards a load for Partitions without wasting powder.
Something to play with. May run them through the 300 saum.

Well, best of luck to you with them. I suspect that they'll do just fine for you.

Regards, Guy

They were called "Partition Gold". They are super stout and hard to find. Like others mentioned they had a steel skirt and the partition was further forward, resulting in very high retained weight.

If your rifle likes them, the critters prefer to pinned through both shoulders with them. :)

For reloading data, my two rifles I still shoot them in, I had to stop well short of Max load. That partition and steel skirt provide a cross member if you will, not allowing the bullet to flex or form.

Start on the low-medium side and watch the pressure signs closely. When it spikes, it's big.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back