Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Cranes.....

I hear they're edible, but taste like crap. BOY shot a bunch down in NM while going to school down there. I plan on putting in for a permit here in UT. I see them fairly often in the hay fields near where I work. 'Twould make a pretty cool mount.

I plan on putting in for a permit here in UT.
What exactly are the perks about UT?:D Our crane hunting is free, just pick up a card and I think it is three a day??? I have only had one opportunity to shoot some while chasing ducks, but forgot to pick up my card. Oh well. I hear the same, not the greatest to eat, but they are a cool bird to see.

Cranes

Moosie,

I've heard them referred to as "flying prime-rib". I don't know what that's all about but it sure would be fun to shoot one to see............

~ AO

What exactly are the perks about UT?
My wife and her associated sexual organs?? ;) Surely isn't the OTC hunting that's for sure. Heck, you have to get apply to just about everything!

moosie, I've heard both sides of the story, "ribeye in the sky" and on the same level as coots...I guess, ya pays your money, and takes your chances. IF however ya end up making a trip out of it you can report to all of us.....hell, you're not hunting enough this fall as it is.

Sandhills are f'n good chit! Buddy hunts them in North Dakota religously. He marinates the breasts and slices them up before throwing them on the BBQ. They look like fowl before they hit the grill and come off the grill looking like steak and tasting just as good as any I've had.

We brought back 35 of them from Saskatchewan last fall. They are good eating and fun as heck to shoot. I grill them like a steak. I'd describe the taste as a cross between beef and duck.

Moosie,
I've hunted them twice here in ID. They are a hoot. They decoy and best all when you whack one they look like a lawn chair falling from the sky!
They eat just fine, their diet is much like a goose.
WD

That raspy call of theirs sounds cool for about 2 minutes, after that they're annoying. I woke up to them flying overhead at 5am a couple of dozen times this Spring.

I know I should probably be getting up at 5am anyway, but I need my beauty sleep til about 6am, oh, and the wife keeps me up late so often by demanding favors . . . :)

Those darned wives and their incessant demands... :mad: :D

Does any one know the proper methods to cooking these beasts?

I would assume if given the chance they would have to be cooked like ducks, just to the point of being done, if over cooked even a little, they taste like old liver

Would this be true of a crane?

Enquiring minds would like to know

Those darned wives and their incessant demands... :mad: :D

Does any one know the proper methods to cooking these beasts?

I would assume if given the chance they would have to be cooked like ducks, just to the point of being done, if over cooked even a little, they taste like old liver

Would this be true of a crane?

Enquiring minds would like to know

Yes! Do not overcook. I butterflied mine and marinated in soy sauce and teriyaki and grilled them. Pretty tasty!

Depends on who you talk to. Some say they're awesome while others say they taste like dirt. Maybe the latter is trying to keep them all to themselves.

Like most wild game it probably depends on what they have been eating. I'm sure some nice grain fed cranes would taste better than the ones eating bugs on the mud flats.

Like most wild game it probably depends on what they have been eating. I'm sure some nice grain fed cranes would taste better than the ones eating bugs on the mud flats.

Or like most wild game, after the shot care usually makes the difference. You've seen the fellows that go Lope hunting, shoot a buck at 8AM, drive around all day trying to get the buddies Lope with a unskinned lope in the back in nice 70-80 temps....................then they tell you Lope is Nasty?

You wouldn't drive around all day with a Whopper/Big Mac in your 80 degree
truck bed?

Don't think I could shoot one though, I like the sound of them, high in the September sky trying to find them in the Binos:)

Back