Colorado unit 444

Florida Boy

I got a buck tag in 444, 2nd season and was just wanting some in sight on the unit from people who have been there. I have never hunted Colorado or in mountains so one question is should I concentrate on lower elevation areas maybe in the west side. More private over there, a little blm. Or are there still deer in some of the drainages or up high in the national forest. I'm getting an otc bull tag and a couple of friends got cow tags and was wondering if the elk and deer are in same areas or will I need to plan on kinda of doing separate hunts. Thanks in advance.

Yea that was back when CPW actually issued cow tags in that area...

Hello, I'll likely be hunting 444 second season this year (Elk and Muley). If you don't mind sharing, what was your experience there? This will be my very first western hunt and have heard mixed info.
Here you go man, there are elk and deer in there. If you show up before season, work hard, scout a couple days, and don’t make any excuses to be off the mountain before sunrise till after dark you will have a pretty good shot. Glass a lot, move slow, and be in your glassing spots before the sun comes up.

Here you go man, there are elk and deer in there. If you show up before season, work hard, scout a couple days, and don’t make any excuses to be off the mountain before sunrise till after dark you will have a pretty good shot. Glass a lot, move slow, and be in your glassing spots before the sun comes up.
Good solid advice.

Hello, I'll likely be hunting 444 second season this year (Elk and Muley). If you don't mind sharing, what was your experience there? This will be my very first western hunt and have heard mixed info.
Michael, let me give you a tip. As a newb, the only proper way to resurrect an an old thread asking for unit specific info is as follows: "Hey man, How'd your hunt go?".

You're welcome.

That sounds like too much work.

No waypoints?

Appreciate the info. I’ll be coming out for a week in August for a scouting trip. I have several glassing spots located at various elevations and off the beaten paths. I have morning locations and afternoon. I will also be there 2 days ahead of season for last minute scouting. I’m more determined than a cat crappin a peach seed. I pour over ONX and Google maps daily. Even though I can’t train for oxygen deprivation at elevation I have lost 25lbs wearing my loaded pack for 5-6 mile walks in town 3-4 times a week and once a week a 8-10 mile hike. No excuses here! None given, none taken. My silver spoon was actually a spork for KFC. Any help/info here is well placed! Thanks! Lol…your message is reminiscent of Cliff Gray in his vids…matter of fact. That too is appreciated.

Appreciate the info. I’ll be coming out for a week in August for a scouting trip. I have several glassing spots located at various elevations and off the beaten paths. I have morning locations and afternoon. I will also be there 2 days ahead of season for last minute scouting. I’m more determined than a cat crappin a peach seed. I pour over ONX and Google maps daily. Even though I can’t train for oxygen deprivation at elevation I have lost 25lbs wearing my loaded pack for 5-6 mile walks in town 3-4 times a week and once a week a 8-10 mile hike. No excuses here! None given, none taken. My silver spoon was actually a spork for KFC. Any help/info here is well placed! Thanks! Lol…your message is reminiscent of Cliff Gray in his vids…matter of fact. That too is appreciated.
That guy looks the part for sure, I’m just a pink wearing rebel to stubborn to figure out the easy way

You'll be fine man. If you put in the effort like you say you are your odds for success are better than the average hunter. Get after it hard you'll find success.

I've shot a couple small bucks in the unit but have seen some bruisers. My buddy shot a really great buck that had to be very old. Body was like a cow elk. I'd share the pic, but it would give away the location. Keep in mind that unit borders one of the most sought after units in CO for mule deer. The elk hunting isn't great, but they are there. Every year I hunted there we saw legal bulls. Most were in crazy spots that no one would think to go, but at least one was less than a half mile from a road campsite that had a handful of trailers, atvs and like 25 dudes. Like most OTC units in CO, it helps to get creative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back