PEAX Equipment

Colorado STL

Bigjay73

Is there or has there ever been an actual push to open up STL as it is in states like AZ and Wyoming? I heard years ago that BHA was working on it, but haven't heard anything lately. If nobody is working on this, how do we start? Ridiculous that 1.8 million acres is off limits to hunting, time that that changes.

Is there or has there ever been an actual push to open up STL as it is in states like AZ and Wyoming? I heard years ago that BHA was working on it, but haven't heard anything lately. If nobody is working on this, how do we start? Ridiculous that 1.8 million acres is off limits to hunting, time that that changes.
It would absolutely change the hunting landscape in a lot of units across the state. Especially pronghorn.

an area where teaming up with the non hunting crowd would be necessary i think. i can't see it ever happening with the flick of a pen because money would have to be involved and cpw probably can't foot the necessary bill to gain access to all of it.

it would be nice to have a law that makes state land publicly accessible. but that law would have to include something else within it (money) to keep with the mandate of the k-12 beneficiaries of the state land.

I know as a resident I would be willing to pay another permit/license fee to cover the cost. Isn't that what the other states do?
If they do, it's included in license/permit fees. At least in Az and Wyoming there's no separate charge for hunting STL. If that's what it would take in Colorado, I'd be all for it. Everytime I've mentioned this on a local public forum, the ranchers and outfitters lose their minds, there's a lot of money ready to fight to keep things the way they are.

Montana was the same way in the early 1990s. Some access leaders presented a bill ( that would pay the State Land Board a small fee per person for access to 5 million acres. The Land Board couldn't turn it down, as they have a fiduciary obligation to the school systems/students and it would be hard for them to reject the millions of dollars that would stem from that small annual fee from hunters and recreationists.

So, it passed. Now we are no longer like Colorado and there is a lot more land to hunt. As expected, it was opposed by those who previously had exclusive access to public lands.

I've stated on our podcasts that there is no lower hanging fruit to improve huge amounts of access than exists in Colorado by going to the legislature with other recreationists and forcing the issue as additional funding for the school systems. The Montana example is a path to do it legislatively. It might take a few attempts, maybe even a lawsuit if the State Land Board Trustees won't act in the best interest of the schools.

Here's the history of how it happened in Montana - https://www.plwa.org/state-land-access-history

Montana was the same way in the early 1990s. Some access leaders presented a bill ( that would pay the State Land Board a small fee per person for access to 5 million acres. The Land Board couldn't turn it down, as they have a fiduciary obligation to the school systems/students and it would be hard for them to reject the millions of dollars that would stem from that small annual fee from hunters and recreationists.

So, it passed. Now we are no longer like Colorado and there is a lot more land to hunt. As expected, it was opposed by those who previously had exclusive access to public lands.

I've stated on our podcasts that there is no lower hanging fruit to improve huge amounts of access than exists in Colorado by going to the legislature with other recreationists and forcing the issue as additional funding for the school systems. The Montana example is a path to do it legislatively. It might take a few attempts, maybe even a lawsuit if the State Land Board Trustees won't act in the best interest of the schools.

Here's the history of how it happened in Montana - https://www.plwa.org/state-land-access-history
Thanks Randy, I'd like to see how much Colorados management of STLs parallels the way Montana was doing it, I have some reading to do.

Growing up and hunting in Az, I have fond memories of hunting many STL, and was always grateful for the ample amount of public access they provided. It's mind boggling to me that Colorado is still in the dark ages with its lack off access, but I can imagine how much better this already great hunting state could be with a change in policy regarding STLs and public access.

Anyone want to help get this ball rolling? Know of any lawyers that would work on such a thing?

Sorry, meant leftover
Ha, that didn’t cross my mind.

Linking this thread I started a couple of months ago on the topic. The direction the SLB appears to be moving regarding recreation is not in the best interest of hunters or wildlife, IMO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back