Colorado GMU 54

BuffaloBill

Has anyone hunted this unit before. First trip to Colorado and looking for some pointers.

My pointer would be to find the elk and shoot one

and this is not an elk....

moose_0553np.jpg

I've never hunted it, but hunted near there. You hunting archery, muzzleloader, or one of the rifle seasons?

We will be hunting the second rifle season with E/S tag. Looking for a good place to setup a base camp around Mill Creek. Thanks for the advice John, I would have never thought of that.

I would focus on the deeper canyons in the southern middle part of the unit. I've only hunted in unit south of Hwy. 50 and after the 1st season the elk head for the vertical canyons. You might look into the timber ridges USFS land between Ohio Creek and Hwy 135, northwest of Almont if you get some heavy snows. I would recommend camping at the BLM Gunnison River Campground about 1/2 south of Almont, and drive, then hike away the trails. Im hunting 54 for the first time this year, on a Dec cow tag, but have hunted in Gunnison for about 6 years, and love fishing the rivers down there. Good luck and get in shape.

I've hunted unit 55 in the past and done very well.I'd be looking over maps for some tough country to get into that will scare others away.Have some friends that hunted 54 alot but they never seem to do well.If you can get away from other hunters,I think you could do good.Get in top shape.I know the mountains in 55 are extreme,and 54 is next door

Thanks for the pointers. I have been looking at the area around Almont. I think that would be a good choice when the Elk are being pushed.

Back