Colorado Elk: 2 / Me: 0

recon6036

Well, I went on my second elk hunt and came up empty-handed again. Frustrating for sure. As with last year, I put in for a cow tag and was lucky enough to draw (1st rifle this year). In the few short days we were able to hunt, I was the only one to see Elk out of the 4 of us that hunted. Last year I saw 3 bulls and this year I had a couple opportunities to fill my tag. Both times the Elk were on the move and in some pretty thick cover....no clean shots and when I went to close the distance, they disappeared....I need to stop being worried they will hear me coming and close the distance faster next time...I guess!
Anyway, for the second year in a row, I had a close encounter with a bull Moose. Not sure if you all think this is big one, but at a distance of less than 20 yards, he sure seemed huge to me.
moose good 1.jpg
moose good.jpg
This year, the Mule deer were as thick as Upper Michigan Mosquitoes in July.
mule deer 2.jpg
The second day of the season, we woke to fresh snow. I was pretty excited until the thick fog rolled in with it.
camp snow 1.jpg
Even with an unfilled tag, it's hard to get too discouraged when your in an area like the Rocky Mountains. One thing for sure; I'll be back next year trying to fill the tag once again!
scene.jpg
40.jpg
PS....Any Colorado residents looking to shoot a Moose....I know a pretty good area.

Cool report, thanks. When closing the gap on moving deer / elk I always try and predict where they are heading in case I lose sight I them. Not sure if it will help in your case but if you can quickly get to a point a little further on you may get to a shootable position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back