Colorado draw results are up

I drew an archery deer tag with 6 points, rifle bear, 1st season rifle elk, and got an OTC archery antelope since I only put in for a point. My wife drew a muzzleloader whitetail tag too. :D

Nada for me. 31% chance on my first choice and 17% chance on my second choice. I like how you can check the draw stats right away. Already planning for next season.

Wow, I really dodged a bullet on that one. The Mule Deer tag I thought was a sure draw for me this year was less than 50% draw odds. Looks like I may not be able to hunt this unit as often as ide like to anymore with draw odds getting worse. Ill really hit the unit hard this year and squeeze as much as I can out of this tag. Hope you guys drew your first choices and not sloppy seconds!

I've never really paid much attention to how many people just apply for points... Looking at the last couple years, it appears that about 85% of the people who apply for just points do so each year. Meaning only 15% use their points to apply for a permit. It's slighly less for residents.

Doesn't look like a lot of people sitting on the sidelines applied for tags this year.

Something to think about I guess when it comes time to apply.

I've never really paid much attention to how many people just apply for points...

Here are some interesting stats for the non-resident chasing the (impossible?) dream (youth apps excluded from the following numbers):

There were 57,562 non-resident deer applications this year.

There were 12,132 successful first choice NR applicants.

There were 7,210 non-resident applicants with 10 or more preference points going into the draw.

There were 5,409 non-resident applicants with 10 or more preference points that applied for another preference point first choice.

There were 559 licenses drawn by the remaining 1,801 non-resident applicants with 10 or more preference points that applied for a license.

With so few "premium" licenses available to non-residents, it only takes a handful of those guys building points to jump in and bump the point creep up. The irony is that the longer NR with 10 or more points build points, the fewer options they have at those high point levels.

Something to consider when forming your long-term strategy.

Over 50% of all sheep applicants this year applied for a point first choice. Odds could be so much worse....

Interesting to look at the 2015 and 2016 comparisons for Unit 61, as it relates to Non-resident rifle apps for Seasons 2-4.

Here is 2015. That year, all with 18 and 19 points drew and 11 of 64 applicants with 17 points drew. If you were one of the 53 applicants at 17 points and did not draw, you had to go into 2016 thinking your odds were pretty good for one of the 30 non-resident tags in 2016.

2015 UNit 61.jpg

Here is 2016. In this year, the point pool at 18 points, which had 53 people remaining from the 2015 pool of applicants with 17 points, dropped to 48 applicants. In other words, a net of 5 applicants took themselves out of that point pool by either applying elsewhere or buying a point this year. Unfortunately for the folks entering the 2016 draw with 18 points, another 20 people who had been buying points in previous years and had 19, 20, or 21 points, decided to jump in and get off the sidelines. End result is, that pool of applicants with 18 points this year only had 17% odds. There were two fewer tags this year than in 2015, so that hurt this point group also.

But the biggest surprise to them had to be that 20 people in point pools above them got off the sidelines and took 20 of the 28 tags at higher point levels, leaving even fewer tags (8) for this point level than what they had available last year (11). Even after waiting a year and acquiring an additional point, the odds for that point pool, for this hunt code, actually went down. Ouch!

2016 UNit 61.jpg

A college professor once told me "there are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics..."

Over 50% of all sheep applicants this year applied for a point first choice. Odds could be so much worse....

Last year in CA 342 max point applicants went point only. With just 4 of the 11 tags going to the 2,165 max point holders I wonder what their reasoning is for not at least putting their name in the ring.

My impossible dream is finding the time to burn a bucket full of points.

I'm really surprised at the total number of points over 10 floating around. I'm guilty of building points, but I have almost twice what I need... The tag I've been eyeballing hasn't really crept too much over the years. I don't mind sending the DOW a donation on a yearly basis for a sure thing at some point, however. I've got my money's worth from CO about 4x over.

I think elk may be worse? I don't follow CO all that much for trophy potential vs draw odds, etc. I've got a half dozen points or about 3x what I need right now to draw. Didn't even apply for points the last few years.

At the end of the day, points = big animals right? ;)

In 2013, I drew a fourth season CO mule deer tag. I purchased points the last two years and with the third season running so late this year, took a chance at the same unit (albeit 3rd season). Low and behold, a buddy and myself drew it with two points. In 2013, the 4th season started on Nov. 13th. This year, the 3rd season goes until Nov. 13th! Looking forward to heading back to CO!

I purchased my first CO points, I'm now the proud owner of 1 elk point and 1 deer point :) Hoping to draw some good tags in the next few years and plan a Colorado adventure.

So the 4th season Mulie tag I was pursuing jumped 3 points to draw this year; I'm guessing that at least some of this jump had to do with the later seasons but I am already quite hesitant in chasing this tag next year. I am however thankful to have drawn a Central CO archery deer tag via my 2nd choice and certainly for the luck I had in drawing my Goat tag. My dad and I put in for Wyo doe antelope this year which should be a fun hunt and we're already brainstorming about our multi-state strategy for next year (This is the first time we've ever applied for big game out of state). Congrats Randy on the 61 elk tag as I already can't wait to watch this episode.

2016 Colorado cow moose tag!

So the 4th season Mulie tag I was pursuing jumped 3 points to draw this year; I'm guessing that at least some of this jump had to do with the later seasons but I am already quite hesitant in chasing this tag next year. I am however thankful to have drawn a Central CO archery deer tag via my 2nd choice and certainly for the luck I had in drawing my Goat tag. My dad and I put in for Wyo doe antelope this year which should be a fun hunt and we're already brainstorming about our multi-state strategy for next year (This is the first time we've ever applied for big game out of state). Congrats Randy on the 61 elk tag as I already can't wait to watch this episode.
I am 64 years old, survived open heart surgery, diagnosed with Lupus, just short of being in a wheelchair, bit by God it took 14 years to get it, but I'm heading to unit 7 above Red Feather to hunt cow elk October 1st.!!

I am 64 years old, survived open heart surgery, diagnosed with Lupus, just short of being in a wheelchair, bit by God it took 14 years to get it, but I'm heading to unit 7 above Red Feather to hunt cow elk October 1st.!!

Good for you. Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Looks like CO is sending me a deer tag for the 4th year in a row. You point builders keep building points, mowing the lawn, and watching football while I go hunting again. :)

Back