CO governor will ask for $1.75 million to feed deer

Oak

Expert
GOV. RITTER SEEKS SPENDING AUTHORITY FOR EMERGENCY WILDLIFE FEEDING PLAN

Gov. Bill Ritter will ask the legislature’s Joint Budget Committee on Monday for spending authority for $1.75 million to fund an emergency winter feeding program for wildlife herds in the Gunnison Basin and other parts of Colorado.

“Heavy snowfall, bitter cold temperatures and a thick ice crust are preventing mule deer, pronghorn and other big game in Western Colorado from reaching their normal food sources, posing a significant risk of starvation,” Gov. Ritter said. “We need to protect our wildlife herds, our local communities and our economy, and this spending authority will provide immediate assistance.”

The Division of Wildlife launched an emergency feeding plan last week, deploying 30 employees and 250 volunteers to the hardest-hit areas. Aircraft are being used to spot herds and Sno Cats are being used to haul feed to isolated wildlife, including a 21,000-deer herd in the Gunnison Valley.

The DOW estimates that without emergency aid, mule deer herds in affected areas could experience a 90 percent increase in mortality rates for fawns and a 30 to 40 percent increase for adults. It could take the herds up to five years to recover, forcing a reduction in hunting and a potential $14 million economic loss to local communities.

Gov. Ritter is requesting the Joint Budget Committee grant $1.75 million in spending authority from the Wildlife Cash Fund, which is supported by hunting and fishing licenses and other fees.

The winter feeding program already has $250,000 available; this request will bring total funding authority $2 million. The money also will be available if emergency feeding becomes necessary in other parts of the state, including north-central Colorado, which also is experiencing severe winter weather and is home to even larger big-game herds. Any funds not spent on winter feeding will return to the Wildlife Cash Fund.

that sucks.... CO has been doing so good with the herds lately, i hope they make it.

I can see a supplemental feeding program for deer as they've been having a pretty hard go... Hope it works!

Montana won't feed, in 1996 the northwest region was hit hard by snow that covered 6' on some wintering area's. The elk and deer had a 60% mortality. It took a decade to bring the wildlife back to pre 96 numbers. The area hunters put more pressure on the southwest area animals by turning their attention on hunting these, until the herds came back. Lots of these guys still come down here because they liked it.

I hesitate to say this, but it seems relevent. In Texas, the hunters feed them, not the governor, not many others, but a few just to see animals around. Summer is more of a stress period way south here than winter though.

If anyone is intersted in helping or donating follow the link.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/wildlifestore/category.aspx?categoryID=47

Just my luck, I finally get enough points together to go on a deer hunt, and they'll all be dead. On the bright side, the forage in the area looked really good to me last fall when I was there. Most of the grass was still green in September which seemed odd to me. They had a wet summer. I hope it helps... Now if they could just get to it.

SS, I believe in some of the areas in MT there was close to 90% winter kill. I have a few friends that live up in NE Mt and they said that the deer are finally back to about the same numbers as pre 96.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back