CO Draw Hunt Choice Question

nhn2a

Hello everyone,

A group and I have decided to put in for preference points this year for Deer in the hopes of hunting mule deer next year around Craig, CO which I've been told is pretty guaranteed with 1 preference point. Although I plan to use the 1 preference point to get a tag next year, I don't fully understand how the 2, 3, and 4 choices work. How can I find out what my odds are of drawing a tag in that area if I list it as a 2nd choice so that I can still accrue additional preference points? I've read the big game guide and although it explains how the choices work, it doesn't explain how preference points get factored into the 2, 3, and 4 choices if at all. I hope that question makes sense.

Hello everyone,

A group and I have decided to put in for preference points this year for Deer in the hopes of hunting mule deer next year around Craig, CO which I've been told is pretty guaranteed with 1 preference point. Although I plan to use the 1 preference point to get a tag next year, I don't fully understand how the 2, 3, and 4 choices work. How can I find out what my odds are of drawing a tag in that area if I list it as a 2nd choice so that I can still accrue additional preference points? I've read the big game guide and although it explains how the choices work, it doesn't explain how preference points get factored into the 2, 3, and 4 choices if at all. I hope that question makes sense.

Preference points don't get factored into 2nd, 3rd, 4th choices. The tags drawn in those rounds are only for hunt codes that still have tags available after the 'Preference Point' round (1st choice).

You can find the units that had 2nd choice tags available last year either en masse with GoHunt Insider, or by looking up the draw recap report for the hunt code/unit you're interested in here: http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Statistics.aspx

If a hunt had 2nd choice tags - the 'Drawn out at' field on the right side top will say '2nd Choice', '3rd Choice', 'Leftover' or something like that.

We archery deer hunt those units. I think theres around 50% chance of drawing with 0 points. If you have 1 point your guaranteed a tag. I've never saw any tags go to second choice. If all the tags draw out in first choice you could never draw as a second choice. Good luck i love it out there.

We archery deer hunt those units. I think theres around 50% chance of drawing with 0 points. If you have 1 point your guaranteed a tag. I've never saw any tags go to second choice. If all the tags draw out in first choice you could never draw as a second choice. Good luck i love it out there.

Thanks for the advice! I didn't quite understand the purpose of the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choices. We will put it as our first choice. If you don't mind me asking, what do you think about the area out there and the success rates? I've been told there are a lot of deer in that area but not to expect to get a trophy. There will be 4 of us and we liked that area as we all have a better chance of bringing back meat. Just curious what your thoughts are.

We've done real good on the deer. I've killed every time I've had a tag. I mostly elk hunt but grab a deer tag too. Go to my page and i have a album of some of the deer we've taken during archery. Shoot me a pm and I'll help you any way i can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back