CO archery elk unit 12/13

fsh2win

Comin from AZ, hunting 3 days, but at least I'll be out there- so Im happy!!! Anyone have experience with these units, such as Is there cell service? Any decent bow shops if I need some help w/my gear? Or best places to get food, etc? Thx not looking for spots, were hunting private land, just curious on general info

Last edited:
never archeryhunted there but have rifle hunted the area several times.Lots of elk and lots of elk hunters.I guess they go together. mostly on national forest. Have seen elk every trip. you should have a good hunt.

Unit 13 is primarily private land, with some small patches of BLM. I'd concentrate on unit 12. I've not hunted it, though. Cell service is not very good. You will get it in town, but I wouldn't count on it many other places. Clark's in Meeker has good burgers. Don't know about archery shops up there.

In 99 I hunted Unit 12, first season rifle. I hunted out of the Indian Run SWA area. We saw quite a few elk the fist two days of the season. Hunting pressure was very heavy, moving most animals out, and onto private land pretty quick. I hunted Burro Mountain. At the time there was a lot of elk sign up high, and thought it might make a good bow hunt. I've never made it back though. Good luck, and keep us posted.

I second Burro Mountain. Good area.

Burro mountain down thru Snell mountain and east to sleepy cat is all good elk country .I would think early season deffinately would be great. Hunting pressure push's the elk all over during rifle season,mostly to private land.If the private land you are huntingis north of these areas ,you should do well.

Watch for rattle snakes,the area north side of unit 12 and all of unit 13 is noted for large snake population.Especially the sage brush area.I will never archery hunt early season again after my sons experience this fall with snakes.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back