Chip or Download for Maps

SherpaPhil

Hello all, I just drew my first antelope tag in WY and am looking into getting the landowner chip for my GPS. Is there any advantage of getting the chip over the download, or vice versa? I have a Garmin Oregon 450t if it makes any difference. Thanks!!

Hello all, I just drew my first antelope tag in WY and am looking into getting the landowner chip for my GPS. Is there any advantage of getting the chip over the download, or vice versa? I have a Garmin Oregon 450t if it makes any difference. Thanks!!

I think you are referring to the downloadable version of the Hunt Wyoming. Its $10 more than the chip. I went with the downloads only so I don't have to pull the chip from my GPS if I want to use the maps on my computer. What you do if you get the download version is actually use the Garmin MapInstall software to install the Hunt WY map onto a blank microSD card you purchase yourself. Then you have the maps on your garmin and computer all the time. Hope that clarifies it some.

If you're only hunting WY, the sd card is more convenient.
Multiple states the d/l is better in my opinion in that you put all your maps on the sd card. I create a storage folder on the sd card then move the state I'm hunting over to the Garmin folder on the card, that way neither basecamp nor the GPS will read the other maps.

If you simply plug the GPS into the PC after opening Basecamp on the pc, all your maps in the GPS Garmin folder and the maps in the sd cards Garmin folder will load in basecamp. There is no need to pull the sd card. If you have an older sd card that doesn't load in basecamp, huntinggps should fix it for you. If you created your own sd card and it doesn't load in basecammp, download javaWa "device manager" and us the "view in basecamp" function on the sd card.

Last edited:
Thank you, that is very helpful information.

Would I be able to load the Hunt Wyoming maps onto a card with the National Geographic National Parks 24k maps I have, or should I use a different card? I like the idea of the download and being able to put several states onto one card.

If you're only hunting WY, the sd card is more convenient.
Multiple states the d/l is better in my opinion in that you put all your maps on the sd card. I create a storage folder on the sd card then move the state I'm hunting over to the Garmin folder on the card, that way neither basecamp nor the GPS will read the other maps.

If you simply plug the GPS into the PC after opening Basecamp on the pc, all your maps in the GPS Garmin folder and the maps in the sd cards Garmin folder will load in basecamp. There is no need to pull the sd card. If you have an older sd card that doesn't load in basecamp, huntinggps should fix it for you. If you created your own sd card and it doesn't load in basecammp, download javaWa "device manager" and us the "view in basecamp" function on the sd card.

Nice, I'll have to try that storage folder trick. Might work for me depending on how many states will fit on my microSD. I've got both rockies south and rockies north. Also need Oregon and Idaho now that i moved again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back