Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Carp are Cool!

Hem

With the limited trout fishing due to high water one has to become resourceful.Most folks scoff at carp as a gamefish, and would rather skewer them with an arrow and pitch back in the water,or up on the bank.Each to their own.Sight hunting with flyrod is an addiction,and can humble the best.Now if I can only convince the girl in the picture.Maybe when she gets older she'll see that fine tuning carp skills could lead to more exotic fly rod pursuits.

Attachments

• P1000720.jpg
    P1000720.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 360
  • DSCN6731.jpg
    DSCN6731.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 361
Man, you are having a great week. First you go out thrashing your favorite fish, then the Bruins beat the Canucks for the Cup. No wonder you are smiling so big.

Drove out your way on Wednesday. If the river keeps rising, folks in your area will be able to fish from the back porch. Damn rain.

As one guy from Alabama told me, "The bright side of high water is that we always have catfish in the kitchen." Guess that is one way to look at it.

Gotta admit, I am one of those guys who cuss those "Tuba lips" when they hit my walleye lures.

I love fly fishing for carp.....a fight like no other

But I did get pissed when a bunch of carp moved in on a bunch of crappies we were fishing for a couple weeks ago....but it was fun when a carp hit a bright green jig on ultra light line

ok ok I'm going to post up some blackmail but I gaught this dude on a full pice of balled up bread on a dock while my old man and his friend were working on the boat....22 1/2lbs If I remember right...he was def over 20

Attachments

• CCI00009.jpg
    CCI00009.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 276
I'm sure that carp put up a good fight on a flyrod, as much as I love fishing I still have a hard time liking those ol' carp - but a good fight is a good fight.

"Turd with Fins"... That cracked me up. I won't let anyone bring one in the boat.

But... a few weeks ago we beached the boat to fish a mudline and got so tired from catching footlong walleye that I decided to use the ice fishing rod I had stashed for just an occasion. I told everyone I wanted to catch a fish as long as the rod. First cast and the jig got hammered, thought I had a decent walleye that cruised through to eat some little cousins. After a few minutes this Buglemouth Barracuda rolls on the surface.

Conchas017.jpg

--Bill

Not expecting to convert any skeptics here,which is just fine by me.When my local waters get clogged with Idahoians in the summer a guy has to find some casting room on less popular waters.:D But for the sake of discussion a few observations from carping the past four years.The lowly carp is really a diverse feeder pursuing baitfish,aquatic nymphs, and on occasion skimming flies on the surface.To the casual observer it would appear that carp eat mud and vegetation.This is partially right.The fish has a sturdy digestive tract that allows it to ingest the crap in order to filter out the aquatic inhabitants.I prefer the river carp.The cooler river water keeps them invigorated for stronger battles than the lake fish,while they also seem to immediately understand the benefits of using the current to fight the rod.The primary focus is finding a specific fish and casting to it,which can be infuriating.I've witnessed wary carp be very intolerant to noisy wading,improper presentations, and often very selective in what they will consume.It tests your patience when a carp fins up to your offering only to stare at it for awhile before deciding to take.Many times the take is imperceptible forcing the angler to rely on instinct.Finally i have had more carp take me into my backing than 35+ years of trout fishing.Its really a kick,but I'm not offended if the masses don't take to it.In any case one of my near fishing waters offers great rainbow/browns,pike and carp,nice to have options.I'm not certain a carp is any uglier than a walleye,but as the saying goes beauty is skin deep.To sports,(Randy),yeah the Bruins showed the Canucks how men play hockey.Now I get to watch the Red Sox steam roll the Majors.

I kicked one out of the water with my boot while duck hunting, not too far from where you caught that one. My lab thought it was pretty dang neat!

ismith, better your dog was thrilled with the live version than the dead and rotten versions .Pupper wouldn't be riding in the front seat back to Helena after a glorious roll.

ismith, better your dog was thrilled with the live version than the dead and rotten versions .Pupper wouldn't be riding in the front seat back to Helena after a glorious roll.

Oh he likes the dead ones too. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back