Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Calling Bears?

nbell

Anyone on here ever tried calling them? I have my first Idaho tag filled, and was thinking about trying to call some in. I have never tried, but I think that this could be a ton of fun. I would guess this time of year a distressed fawn call would be the ticket. If anyone is willing to share a couple of tips on what calls to use or any other info it would be appreciated. I have several spots that I know hold lots of bears, just never tried the calling thing. Thanks for any help.

Wayne Carlton has a video on calling bears...it has more info in it than I can type up very fast. I have yet to call one in succesfully but will keep trying.

I've called a couple in with a Primos Ki-Yi before. As a disclaimer I had spoted them first and then moved in to their general area before calling. When I started calling it did not take long and they both came in at a pretty quick clip. One my brother shot with his bow and the other I shot with my 870 and a slug. Calling a bear in is good way to get the heart rate elevated.

Anything that you can call in will get you going faster than anything else. I spent several weekends this year experimenting with a variety of calls. You never know what will come to the call in Western Montana.

I've called one in the last two years. It takes a lot of stands sometimes but you usually aren't disappointed when you get on to commit. I usually call for at least 20 minutes but my two call ins came in within 5 minutes. I feel like you need to be within 800 yards of them usually to get them to come in, or find a very mean, angry bear.

Mostly calling doesn't work.......once in a while it does and it's a lot of fun! :)

I use a Fox Pro with fawn distress calls of several varieties.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back