California Hogs

2pointslayr

Anyone know any good areas on public land or BLM land i can get access on and how much it would cost an idahoian.

It is not very likely that you can just drop into public land here and luck into hogs. Most of them are on private land where the crops and water are located. Best bets are Fort Hunter Liggett or Camp Roberts - army bases open to hunting most weekends. They have daily fees, and must be signed up in advance.

Here is a forum with an emphasis on California - go the Hog and Javelina Hunting section and click on the posted "Helpful Hog Hunting Links - the webmaster has links to both of those army posts or directions on how to sign up.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/

Up in Northern CA in the Yoli Boli Wilderness area. hunt the southern fringes along the private ranch lands. Cousin had 6500 acers bordering the wilderness when he was outfitting down there. Lots of hogs.

Cali hog hunting is great, but like everything in Cali it is too damn expensive. Unless you are going there for a reason i would look into TX instead.

Cali hog hunting is great, but like everything in Cali it is too damn expensive. Unless you are going there for a reason i would look into TX instead.

I hear that!! It used to be $7.90 for a book of 5 hog tags. Now they are $15.50 EACH!! And fish and game wonders why their hog tag sales are way down and there are so many fewer people buying tags. We shoot 20-100 hogs a year, luckly the ranch has a depravation permit.

A few years ago California went from $7.90 for 5 pig tags to $15.50 for one, and the F&G wonders why they had a large drop in the number of pig tags sold the last few years!! I have not bought a pig tag since they went up. We shoot anywhere from 20-100 pigs a year on our ranch but we have a depravation permit. I wont pay $15 for a pig tag, that is stupid!!!

My 2 cents on Cali. hog hunting.

A few years ago California went from $7.90 for 5 pig tags to $15.50 for one, and the F&G wonders why they had a large drop in the number of pig tags sold the last few years!! I have not bought a pig tag since they went up. We shoot anywhere from 20-100 pigs a year on our ranch but we have a depravation permit. I wont pay $15 for a pig tag, that is stupid!!!

My 2 cents on Cali. hog hunting.

Stupid is alittle strong isn't it? I mean 15.50 is cheaper than buying a ranch.;)

Unfortunately, for those of us who do not own a ranch, the $15 is just the start of what it will cost us...like $350-700 for a hog hunt on someone else's land.

Unfortunately, for those of us who do not own a ranch, the $15 is just the start of what it will cost us...like $350-700 for a hog hunt on someone else's land.

I guess I do take it forgranted at times. Thinking back before I worked for this ranch it was difficult to kill a hog, now I pass them by because I dont want to mess with cleaning them or hauling them out. I am very lucky to have access to this place. But from $1.58 per tag to $15.50 is a little dramatic dont you think? That would be like a deer tag going from 25 to 400 in one year!!

Calif. Hunter- if you make it up this way give me a few days notice and I will see if I cant find you a pig to shoot. Most of them are eaters, between 80-200# but on ocassion we get a 400-600#er. Sort of busy during deer season but after Oct. let me know.

Thanks - I used to get up that way more often. My daughter and son-in-law just moved up to Gilroy - he's a paramedic-firefighter for them. I bet they will like it there a lot better than Coalinga, where he used to work! :D

Thanks - I used to get up that way more often. My daughter and son-in-law just moved up to Gilroy - he's a paramedic-firefighter for them. I bet they will like it there a lot better than Coalinga, where he used to work! :D

Gilroy is about an hour from here, I rope there a few days every month. There are some big hogs between here and there around San Luis res. and on the back side. I have been a firefighter/EMT here for 14 years. It will be a nice change for him from Coalinga!! Just let me know when you want to go look for a pig.

you think that 15$ is bad, look what a nonres needs to pay for a hog tag in CA, and then what it would cost him in TX. I will never hunt hogs in CA again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back