Cabela's Instinct Outfitter Tent

L

LaHunter

Looking to see if anyone has any experience with this tent. It is listed as an 8 man tent, but looks like it would work well for 2 or maybe 3 people with all their gear, cots, food, clothes, and stove for a week or more. Inside dimensions are listed at 10'X14'.

I already have a 12' X 20' Alaknak setup that I am very happy with, just looking at maybe a smaller option.

Any info is appreciated

For a 10x14 tent I'd go with a Kodiak and a small propane radiant heater. I can easily put 3 guys with cots and gear and everything in mine.

Last edited:
I was seriously considering this tent but ended up getting a Turbo Tent 10. This thing is 10x20, and is easier to set up than my 6 man REI base camp. I'm really impressed with the overall quality. I heard about them on one of Randy's gear bag podcasts I believe. There's also quite a following for them at expedition portal forums.

I've read good things about Kodiak tents. One thing about this Cabela's tent that caught my eye was total weight is listed at 50 lbs and the pack size is about 31" long. That's pretty good for a 10'X14' tent.

I just went and looked at the tent on the Cabela's website. I wouldn't want to be putting a polyester and nylon tent out in the middle of winter, the wind will blow right through it. Plus, you have to buy the floor to it separately. That seems silly to me. For another $100 you can have the 10x14 canvas Kodiak that's all set and ready to go and will withstand winter and wind and any weather I've put it through....just my opinion

Yes, but you can buy it cheaper direct form Kodiak. You can find sellers on Ebay that sell them with free shipping too at even lower prices. I ended up getting mine on sale for $575 with free shipping when I caught them on sale on ebay.

The Instinct Outfitter tent has the floor made into it. It does have a floor saver that is sold separately.
Also, there is a zip out area for a stove in the floor.

Thanks for the info and opinions

Lahunter not sure where you are at in la. But the Gonzales cabelas has a kodiak 9x12 with the front wall add on for $577 and I think 20% off in the bargain cave at the store. I saw it a couple days ago. Would call before going. $800 setup.

I'm about 4-4.5 hours north of the Gonzales store.
Thanks for the heads up

I bought the kodiak 10x14 last year and love the tent. Easy to set up, with held the Wyoming wind the week I was out there, used a small propain heater for the couple real cold nights. I'm pretty sure I bought it from the competitiveedge web site too. I'm real Happy with my purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back