Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Buy new stock or leave alone?

JPelkhound

Hi,

I have a rifle that “walks” after 3 shots...as in #4 it’s strapped on it’s walking shoes and #5/6 are lucky to be in the same zip code. (See pics below, the left is 165 grain barns, the right is 185 gr Berger’s)

If I go to a new stock it might be better, but I went to a new stock on my other rifle and whoa...that took a while to get it accurate again. (Glass bedding, messing with torque, new load development)

I’m just not “sure” spending the $$ helps. (Think $1000-1200)

Thoughts??

Attachments

• EF911496-149B-4BB3-8EF0-A45247301485.jpeg
    EF911496-149B-4BB3-8EF0-A45247301485.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • DB028DA3-A666-45C9-8297-414E543283F0.jpeg
    DB028DA3-A666-45C9-8297-414E543283F0.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
My guess would be barrel heating up and throwing rounds. Pretty common with small barrel diameter
Agreed. I had this same issue with a fluted barrel. I bought a new stock for other reasons but it didn’t fix that. Waiting between shots was the fix for that.

Either keep it how it is or I’d rebarrel if you want it to shoot better 5-6 shot groups. I think a stock will be a waste of money unless you rebarrel.

Details on the rifle would be handy.

Does it return to the 1-3 if you let it sit for 1/2 hour?

Try adding a temporary pressure point (index card folded over twice and placed between barrel and fore end about an inch back from end of fore end). See if that changes things. Some guns don't like free floating ... or they just like pressure point better.

Thx for the advice. It is a mountain gun (300 wsm) so I’ve been thinking just leave it alone.

I'd leave it alone. I've never needed 4 or more shots while hunting. I'd be more concerned with POI staying the same with weather changes

You can do all the stock work imaginable, but some barrels just walk as they heat up. In my experience, light little pencil thin barrels are actually a little more accurate with some contact with the stock, as long as it's consistent. But this does also tend to cause, or exacerbate stringing. Everything has a trade off, but light weight mountain guns just tend to string shots as the barrel heats up. Gotta keep in mind their design is to deliver 1 - 3 accurate shots across a mountainside after a five-mile hike to get there, not sending a hundred rounds through paper from a bench rest in one sitting.

Hi,

I have a rifle that “walks” after 3 shots...as in #4 it’s strapped on it’s walking shoes and #5/6 are lucky to be in the same zip code. (See pics below, the left is 165 grain barns, the right is 185 gr Berger’s)

If I go to a new stock it might be better, but I went to a new stock on my other rifle and whoa...that took a while to get it accurate again. (Glass bedding, messing with torque, new load development)

I’m just not “sure” spending the $$ helps. (Think $1000-1200)

Thoughts??
My Ruger 77 in '06 was similar. Free floated the barrel, it is now sub-MOA on a good day (that is all on me). Spent more on gasoline to CO and back (twice) than the job did, but more than worth all the time and the cost. It is nice to know where my rifle shoots, after years of frustration.

David
NM

Hi,

The details of the rifle is that it does have a pencil barrel and it’s light. (Around 7 1/2 lbs w/scope). And the stock is a “plastic” variety that doesn’t manage heat well I’m sure.

I put a mcmillan stock on my 300 win (similar type gun) and though it was time consuming and at times frustrating, it shoots like this now. (Which is why I’m thinking of replacing the stock)

Attachments

• 7A72BCD9-8A3E-4243-8210-2147104D6780.jpeg
    7A72BCD9-8A3E-4243-8210-2147104D6780.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Back