MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Boots-From the flats to steep rocky faces

mthuntinfool29

Like a rookie, I've neglected proper footwear. 9 years in the US ARMY Infantry taught my good foot care, but I'm looking for a top-notch pair of boots to serve all of my hunting needs. Something waterproof and warm. I hunt a variety of terrain from flaunt lands to steep rocky mountainsides. I've been looking at the Kenetrek Mountain Guide 400. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I really like my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes with 400 insulation, but only when it's cold. Boots are obviously a very personal choice, you really need to try them on in person as opposed to just buying on-line without at least a casual test fit. If I stay moving and the weather isn't all that cold, my favorite all-around boot is the un-insulated Lowa Tibet, I've been very happy with them in steep rocky stuff to the flat muddy stuff.

My experience is that in rocky/scab rock type ground I want a stiff sole boot. Learned that on an Antelope hunt. A semi mountaineering type boot; Hanwag Alaska, Selewa Repace, Lowa Tibet. I used the Hanwags this year in all terrain and they were great. Randy is using a Kennetrek of some sort and hunts all types of different terrain.

My experience is that in rocky/scab rock type ground I want a stiff sole boot. Learned that on an Antelope hunt. A semi mountaineering type boot; Hanwag Alaska, Selewa Repace, Lowa Tibet. I used the Hanwags this year in all terrain and they were great. Randy is using a Kennetrek of some sort and hunts all types of different terrain.

Randy uses the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes, mostly non-insulated. He's got a youtube video talking about them. I've had a pair of the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes non-insulated for about a year now. I've put many miles on them, and they've held up great. I recently took them on a late season Montana elk hunt. I trudged through a lot of snow in them, and my feet stayed warm as long as I was moving. They'd get cold when glassing. I've been so impressed with the quality of them that I just ordered a pair of kenetrek pac boots for the snow and whitetail treestand hunting when the temps. drop.

i have lowa Tibet and kenetrek mtn extreme insulated. they do everything i need across every terrian and weather condition.

I've been using the Elk Hunter from Danner this year and I like them. http://www.danner.com/product/hunt/elk-hunter-8-brown-400g.html They fit like a slipper. The soles shed mud as I walk but grip very well. I have wide feet so I purchased the EE width. Not heavy. They have 400 grams of insulation but I haven't been in the real cold yet. Just a little snow. To be honest I carry boot blankets and just slip them on when I'm sitting for any length of time. GOR-TEX lined so they stay dry. American made. Try on as many brands and styles as you can. They all fit slightly different.

Those Kenetreks will serve you well if they fit you well. I had the uninsulated version that I used for years. Worked well enough, but never really fit my heel as well as some others. They are tough boots.

For most western style hunting I've not seen the need for insulated boots. With good socks, I can do well to some pretty cold temps. If my feet get cold enough, I just get up and moving to warm them. Sitting stands is a whole 'nuther ballgame.

I really like my Lowa Rangers. Wear them for everything from pheasants to chukars to elk.

salomon quest 4d gtx 2. I wear them every day. summer field work and mountaineering to deer, elk, pheasant, snowshoing and ice fishing. no break in time. but, if you use them like this, don't expect more than a year or two out of them. but the comfort has been worth it for me.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back