MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Book Cliffs bears

james_wvu

I was in the Utah side of the Book Cliffs a few weeks back and ran across a couple of nice bears. Bears usually don't get me excited like a good muley or elk. However, Utah allows baiting and hounds. Hound hunting is widespread in my home state back east and I wouldn't mind giving it a try out here just for the experience. Anyone got any idea about how long it would take to draw a tag for bear in the Book Cliffs??

drawing a tag

I put in two different times as a resident: the first time for around eight years and the second for three or more and never did draw a tag there. HOwever, a non-resident's chances are a little better.

The problem is lots of local guys that run hounds put their whole famlis, friends and relatives......makes it tough on the draw. Good luck,

the ikester |oo

Thanks. That draw sounds like all the others in Utah. It couldn't hurt for me to put in the draw next year. Those hounds on your webpage are beautiful. Back in West Virginia, most bear houndsman run big ol' blueticks and walkers. I think that is their names. The dogs are speckled in color. You can buy a bear tag over the counter in WV. Bears are plentiful. My brother has 2 whopper bears he killed without hounds. My dad has 4 average bears he killed without hounds so that is a good idea of how many bears WV has. Thanks again.

drawing tags

james_wvu said:
Thanks. That draw sounds like all the others in Utah. It couldn't hurt for me to put in the draw next year. Those hounds on your webpage are beautiful. Back in West Virginia, most bear houndsman run big ol' blueticks and walkers. I think that is their names. The dogs are speckled in color. You can buy a bear tag over the counter in WV. Bears are plentiful. My brother has 2 whopper bears he killed without hounds. My dad has 4 average bears he killed without hounds so that is a good idea of how many bears WV has. Thanks again.

It never hurts to put in for the draw on game a guy wants to hunt! However, it sounds like West Virginia has lots more hunting opportunity on bears than Utah does. But I hope you have better luck than I have...let us know how you do.

the ikester |oo

Hey Ike....

I got lucky with one of the dogs I picked up at the pound as a lost pup...

It took over a year to figure out exactly what the fellow is, besieds fixed... ;)

We were thumbing thru an old FoxFire book and found a pic of a Plott Hound, and that's what we ended up with, he fits into the description of his breed type very well...

Great dog, just can't chase bears around here with them, so I have to take him out and run the heck out of him with the truck or power hikes all the time to keep him from tearing the house up... :)

ELKCHSR said:
Hey Ike....

I got lucky with one of the dogs I picked up at the pound as a lost pup...

It took over a year to figure out exactly what the fellow is, besieds fixed... ;)

We were thumbing thru an old FoxFire book and found a pic of a Plott Hound, and that's what we ended up with, he fits into the description of his breed type very well...

Great dog, just can't chase bears around here with them, so I have to take him out and run the heck out of him with the truck or power hikes all the time to keep him from tearing the house up... :)

Too funny ELKCHSR. Yeah, a hound is a hunting dog and dosn't do well in the houndse or hanging on a chain unless it's hunting regulatory. Where are you at...Montana? Yeah, I have to blow the air out of these seven hounds of mine on a regular schedule or they get pretty darn wired up. However, bear is starting next saturday and I'll bet they lay on the chain well after saturday ha!

the ikester hump

Well good luck Ike...

I wouldn't have minded turning him into a hunting dog, seems to have a stron desire to meet that end if I'd let him.

I just don't get out often enough, and you can't hunt most things out here with them, I was thinking of teaching him how to hunt birds, but will have to see if I really enjoy it, or if it would be worth the time...

Don't want to teach them any thing they won't get to use in the future...

:)

Go out and find a fresh lion track this winter Russ! Put him on it and givem hell!

We ended up with our best tree dog ever by inheriting it from some neighboors year ago. They had a little dog named Duchess and they ended up finding a dog and keeping him, and named him Duke.

WEll, every time they turned old Duke out he'd end up sitting under some dang tree in the creek bottom or over at the neighboors house and barking non stop for hours and hours. One day Duke treed a house cat within ear shot of our house and me and my dad went running, to see what some guys hound had treed. When we got there the neighboors (whom we didn't know at the time) got there too and told us how he did that ALL the time and it was a pain, but they Loved Duke.

Well, we convinced them that Duke would be happier than ever if they let us have him. He was a good looking Plott dog and ended up being a great addition to our pack. Back in, I think it was 1990 or 91 I had to follow Dukes' tracking collar beakin into a hell hole, found him and buried him under a bunch of rocks and logs. A big nasty lion had crushed his skull, as he sat under that tree screaming every breath, waiting for my dad to get there, my dad was too late and the cat jumped tree, killed Duke and led the other 3 dogs on a few more hour chase before my dad finally caught them up crossing a road.

Never did kill that old cat, but he was on our hit list for many years, right up till they banned hound hunting in Washington.

Have fun with that dog, but think seriously about finding him a good home with a houndsman, thats whats hounds want to do, run critters!!

Ernie

Thanks Ernie...

I never thought of just sticking him on a track, I thought they had to be trained. I will have to do that this winter, I know of a great place I always see tracks.

He's fun when I'm running him down dirt roads for excersise, he can be doing almost 25 miles an hour, stop on a dime and stick his nose in some bush that has a good smell in it...

He is definatly lots of fun and is very eager to please when he gets outside... :)

Put us a pic up of him!

Not every hound will just take a track, especially if he has never ran with others, but I'll bet money with a little eggin on he'll run a fresh track....You'll have to be careful though, cause without being broke, he'll run any other damn thing that will run from him or leave a track!!!

I'm actually surprised you haven't lost him while roading him already...with that thought, maybe he wont really run one, but its worth a try anyway.

You have to purchase a lion tag real soon, might even be too late and you have to buy a trappers license I believe....you'll have to check.

Have fun,

Ernie

When he is in the sun, you can see the brindle in his hide in all of the black, other wise it is pretty hard to see but it's certainly there...

We think there may be a little some thing else in him, but who's to say on a pound pup with no history.

It took a year of searching to find a picture of another dog who matched the descriptions of this one and the match of personality is absolutly right on.

He was afraid of every thing when we first got him, but he was just a little guy, and he really didn't like pickups, which I'm thinking he had one go over the top of him which also might account for a small scar he had if a truck went over him and he got clipped...

I should also say, he can sustain fifteen mph and run for a pretty good way at 25 and 20 mph...

Charlie_and_Dirt_Bike.jpg

Charlie_in_field.sized.jpg

So_Fun.jpg

Charlie.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back