Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Bino Pack/pistol carry...

Speeddmn

Getting pictures of mt lions on the camera and wife wants me to start carrying a pistol this season. I'd rather not but happy wife, happy hunter who gets to go more and do stuff! I'm wondering how/where to carry a pistol. If I didn't need my bio pack I would use a chest holster. With my pack the typical belt/waist holster is worthless. Don't want a thigh holster unless it is last resort. Under arm seems like a chaffing nightmare on 4-6 miles hikes. I'm still thinking of the chest holster, if it will still allow me to use my bio pack, or if someone would make a combo one!

Just for reference I use the AGC CUB/max pocket, Easton full bore 5600 pack and will be archery hunting. I'd think attaching to my pack would limit me if I needed to drop it for a final stalk and then wham mr kitty cat wants to chew on my face... Any advice folks?

Are you looking for self defense or to hunt one?

If it's for self defense then I'd go with bear spray. If it's because you want to hunt and kill one then a S&W ultralight 357 or 44 mag

I have a diamond d tanker style chest holder. I had them modify it. It lays below and to left of my binos and it doesn't interfere with my pack. 2 legged critters scare me more than 4...

I carry on my hip belt, never could get a chest holster comfortable to my standards and also out of the way enough to draw my bow with it on. On my hip belt of pack it fits perfect and tight and isn't bouncing while hiking. My buddy who never bow hunts uses a cheap chest rig he modified to attach directly to his should straps and it works for him. I will say you don't need to be dirty Harry for a self defense gun and smaller more compact (lighter) I prefer.

C

Are you looking for self defense or to hunt one?

If it's for self defense then I'd go with bear spray. If it's because you want to hunt and kill one then a S&W ultralight 357 or 44 mag

Not for hunting, and I understand how and why the spray works, but a pistol will last much longer in life. Spray have an expiration date.

One of these kit bags might work?
http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/1/Default.aspx

My other advice is to not worry too much about the cats and just go hunting.

Those kit's look decent enough, but dosent seem to be gun specific. I might try some local places here and see what I can find and try on. Worst case I buy an Officer model 1911 and use the drop down thigh holster.

I have a Kit Bag and love it. It's not gun specific, but my G20 carries nicely in it. It doesn't really need to be gun specific. I got a Dale Fricke holster to go with it so the trigger is covered while in there. And it has two more compartments to hold your other stuff you are carrying currently.

Back