Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Bergara B14 HMR

Gila

I have been thinking about getting one in 300 WM. I am rather concerned about the quality of the action. There was an issue with the firing pin being too small in diameter for the bolt hole, causing cratering of the primer. It has been a common practice from what I have been able understand, to send the action off to a gunsmith to have a bushing installed around the firing pin. Bergara has apparently fixed the issue with the 2019 models according to their press release. Apparently there have been issues with a blown primer forcing the firing pin assembly back through the rear bolt shroud. The rear bolt shroud is cast and shatters. Bergara has stated that they have only seen it happen with the 6.5 creed in a handload. They apparently stated they will provide a machined bolt shroud to replace the cast piece for their creed rifles. They made it sound like a "too hot" handload was the only cause and the only caliber affected is the creed. However it seems to me that if a primer is severely cratered by the firing pin, that the primer could blow or be pierced with any load. I am not saying it would happen with other loads in different calibers, only that in theory that it could possibly happen. Just my opinion. I only know what I google about the rifle. Your thoughts?

I have shot probably 500 rounds in my 06 and have never had a problem. After I bought the Bergara the Howa sits in the closet.

From what I read before ordering my premier highlander, it seems like most this issue is driven by a bolt hole that is too big for the firing pin in the B14 line. It is reportedly most problematic with 6.5cm, and in particular small rifle primers used in hand loaded 6.5cm - it doesn't appear to be an over pressure issue in most cases. Some reported solutions have been having a gunsmith use a bushing to better fit the firing pin to the bolt hole, using only large rifle primers with 6.5cm loads or to buy a premier bolt assembly from begara. Some have reported that begara has fixed for 2019 and beyond rifles, but if their solution to pierced primers is to have a stronger bolt shroud that "stands up" to the pierced primers, count me out until they actually fix. I will definitely be looking carefully at the primers from my 280AI premier action for the first hundred rounds, and my premier lrp 6.5cm next batch, to make sure it is truly limited to the B14 action.

I bought a B-14 Ridge in 300 WM last spring, and shortly thereafter noticed the reviews of people having the problems you mention. I know I'm only one data point, but I've put about 100 rounds of different factory ammo through mine so far and have had normal looking primer strikes and no issues at all. I actually really enjoy shooting it and a shot three antelope and a mule deer with it this fall. A very good-shooting rifle, IME.

I bought a B-14 Ridge in 300 WM last spring, and shortly thereafter noticed the reviews of people having the problems you mention. I know I'm only one data point, but I've put about 100 rounds of different factory ammo through mine so far and have had normal looking primer strikes and no issues at all. I actually really enjoy shooting it and a shot three antelope and a mule deer with it this fall. A very good-shooting rifle, IME.
I really do like the rifle with all of the features at that price. My grandson wants to do longe range shooting at the range and elk hunt with me. That would be a good rifle for him. If I may ask what the build date is on your rifle? In case you don't know, the first two digits in the middle of the sn are the month and I believe the last two digits on the right is the year. Near as I can tell, they started installing the mods in the last qtr of 2018.

From what I read before ordering my premier highlander, it seems like most this issue is driven by a bolt hole that is too big for the firing pin in the B14 line. It is reportedly most problematic with 6.5cm, and in particular small rifle primers used in hand loaded 6.5cm - it doesn't appear to be an over pressure issue in most cases. Some reported solutions have been having a gunsmith use a bushing to better fit the firing pin to the bolt hole, using only large rifle primers with 6.5cm loads or to buy a premier bolt assembly from begara. Some have reported that begara has fixed for 2019 and beyond rifles, but if their solution to pierced primers is to have a stronger bolt shroud that "stands up" to the pierced primers, count me out until they actually fix. I will definitely be looking carefully at the primers from my 280AI premier action for the first hundred rounds, and my premier lrp 6.5cm next batch, to make sure it is truly limited to the B14 action.

I am thinking that I would only get a b14 2019 model to make sure it has the fix. Your Premier has an entirely different bolt from what I have been able to understand. The bolt face floats. The bushing that the gunsmiths use for the "fix" is the same one they use to modify a 700 action or clone to use small primers that is...a smaller diameter firing pin.

I really do like the rifle with all of the features at that price. My grandson wants to do longe range shooting at the range and elk hunt with me. That would be a good rifle for him. If I may ask what the build date is on your rifle? In case you don't know, the first two digits in the middle of the sn are the month and I believe the last two digits on the right is the year. Near as I can tell, they started installing the mods in the last qtr of 2018.

Looks like mine was built in 06/18

You could very well have the mod then. They said they started last half of 2018. My mistake.

I found some evidence that the bolt shroud blows with the 300 win mag. I guess at this point I am rather shocked that Bergara has not recalled the b 14s. No way will I buy one now. I am going to buy my grandson a tikka t3 in 300 WSM. With the difference in cost I will put the money into my custom build. I was going to use a trued 700 action but now I am going to put the money into a rock solid, custom 700 clone action. Probably go with the 30 nosler in the custom build since both the 300 wsm and 30 nosler use the 404 jeffrey brass.

Last edited:
I found some evidence that the bolt shroud blows with the 300 win mag. I guess at this point I am rather shocked that Bergara has not recalled the b 14s. No way will I buy one now. I am going to buy my grandson a tikka t3 in 300 WSM. With the difference in cost I will put the money into my custom build. I was going to use a trued 700 action but now I am going to put the money into a rock solid, custom 700 clone action. Probably go with the 30 nosler in the custom build since both the 300 wsm and 30 nosler use the 404 jeffrey brass.

I have a B14 Ridge in 6.5CM with almost 600 rounds through it. I use handloads with LRP and haven't had an issue with the shroud. As stated above the news ones have a machined shroud so it shouldn't be a problem at all. I really love the Bergaras. A buddy has a Ridge in 7RM that shoots bugholes. He liked it so much he has a Premier Highlander on order. What they've done with their actions makes a lot of sense to me. It's a R700 footprint and is what the R700 should be, with a nice bolt release, smooth operation and out of the box accuracy. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

The mods do not include a new bolt shroud (see the press release by Bergara). Bergara does not associate the bolt shroud issue with the firing pin issue. I do not know what their "fix" is for the firing pin. Did they go to a larger diameter firing pin? Did they replace the bolt with a smaller hole? Did they just install a bushing in the bolt? I just don't know what I would be buying therefore I won't buy one. The only way I could be sure of having an action without those problems would be to get a premier with a different bolt. For that money I will just build my own rifle. Each to his own. I won't chance it.

The mods do not include a new bolt shroud (see the press release by Bergara). Bergara does not associate the bolt shroud issue with the firing pin issue. I do not know what their "fix" is for the firing pin. Did they go to a larger diameter firing pin? Did they replace the bolt with a smaller hole? Did they just install a bushing in the bolt? I just don't know what I would be buying therefore I won't buy one. The only way I could be sure of having an action without those problems would be to get a premier with a different bolt. For that money I will just build my own rifle. Each to his own. I won't chance it.
I agree about the B14 - until begara explains, why bother just buy Tikka or xbolt. Seems simple enough. I wonder if they will provide that answer to a potential purchaser who called tech support. Or if someone here has seen before and after bolts? As for the premier line, I found that it was about 45% cheaper than the custom I spec’d out and came in 3 months instead of 13 months. I may still do a custom someday, but my guess is this premier shoots better than I can and was a lot less effort - kind of “gateway custom”.

Buying all custom parts and putting it together myself is about 2k without the scope. The longest lag time is the barrel which is about 16 weeks. That is with top of the line action and barrel. I am having fun with it. Bergara gave their phone number in the press release if anyone is interested in calling. I don't like the way they are handling this issue. It isn't just a mechanical failure. Just because the firing pin isn't cratering the primers now doen't mean it can't happen later with wear.

Bergara gave their phone number in the press release if anyone is interested in calling. I don't like the way they are handling this issue. It isn't just a mechanical failure. Just because the firing pin isn't cratering the primers now doen't mean it can't happen later with wear.
So if this can happen later because of wear, how do other company's handle the potential for wear causing cratered pierced primers?

So if this can happen later because of wear, how do other company's handle the potential for wear causing cratered pierced primers?

I should have should said something like "accelerated" wear due to either the wrong size of firing pin or the hole in the boltface that is too large for the firing pin. The most common types of "typical" wear issues are a weakened firing pin spring or the firing pin itself where it moves through the boltface. This is the first "production" rifle firing pin issue that I have heard of. Not to say that there hasn't been any.

I've shot the HMR chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor for two years. It is topped with a Leupold VX5 HD CDS 7-35x56. I shoot Precision Hunter ELD-X 143's. It will hit the same hole all day. I recommend the muzzle break, from Bergara, it takes nearly all the kick out of the gun, super easy to shoot. I've taken two South Texas Deer up to about 235lbs with it, they don't take another step. Sighting-in is super easy with no break-in procedures. It is a heavy rifle and you can hold perfectly still. We hunt blinds, high racks and Senderos down here, probably a little heavy for climbing and stalking. I highly recommend this rifle. It is the best 'out of the box' rifle I've ever shot. Have a great 2020!

I've also been able to witness how awesome the 6.5 PRC is. It hits hard and is just as accurate as the plain old 6.5. You can't go wrong with the proven .284

Buying all custom parts and putting it together myself is about 2k without the scope. The longest lag time is the barrel which is about 16 weeks. That is with top of the line action and barrel. I am having fun with it. Bergara gave their phone number in the press release if anyone is interested in calling. I don't like the way they are handling this issue. It isn't just a mechanical failure. Just because the firing pin isn't cratering the primers now doen't mean it can't happen later with wear.
I was at about $2250 for my shopping list (plus gunsmith costs), but the action availability was “unknown”, the stock was 4-6 months out, the gunsmith wanted 2-3 months to assemble, etc. I will definitely do someday, just decided not to this year.

It is a classic problem to coordinate getting all of the parts. I am designing a rifle with a not so popular chamber. Few barrel companies can chamber their barrels with the cartridge. In addition I want a shouldered pre-fit to change barrels myself. I like Bergara barrels but they currently can't chamber with the cartridge. I have narrowed it down to two barrel makers. One of them is Pac-nor who had a major factory fire recently, so they are not manufacturing barrels for months.

Back