Bear Spray

Reeder

My wife and I will be visiting Grand Teton and Yellowstone in mid-September for a several days. I was advised by family members to purchase bear spray for protection while out hiking and enjoying the wildlife. My question to you fellow outdoor men and women is what brand of bear spray do you recommend Counter Assault, UDAP, or any other brand. Or better yet what make and model do you carry? Should i spend the extra money for the bigger can of spray?

Thanks for your input.
-Reeder

Counter Assault. Nothing against other makes but Counter Assault has withstood the test of time. Plus its made in my hometown and I have friends who work there.

I've used a few different brands. I currently have a regular sized can of Counter Assault, which has the upper level of recommended capsaicin for bear deterrent. In 20+ year of backpacking and hunting in bear country I've never had to use it. I think if you and your wife each carried a regular sized can you'd be fine. You can also purchase inert cans from Counter Assault so you can practice spraying.

Most brands are essentially the same. Bear Spray is an EPA regulated product so they have to meet a minimum % capsacin(oids). A bigger can will give you a longer spraying time. I have UDAP and Counter Assault and feel fine using both. The UDAP can I have is smaller and I feel fine having it. Remember the FAA has banned Bear Spray so don't pack if you plan on flying.

I don't think the brand matters as much.

I would practice more on getting the thing out of the hoister and getting it in a position to shoot.

I tend to think a charging bear would cause a moment of thumbling if practice isn't given.

I would be prepared and cautious, but I would also realize that around 2 million people visit Yellowstone every year and there have only been 6 fatal attacks since 2010 (All the way back to 1990, they are the only attacks according to Wiki).

6 : 12,000,000

1 : 2,000,000

Your Odds of being struck by lightning are (http://www.nsc.org/learn/safety-knowledge/Pages/injury-facts-chart.aspx)

1 : 174,426

In Fact you are a lot more likely to die from winged savages such bees, wasps, and hornets than grizzly bears.

1 : 64,706

Just be prepared to use bear spray in the event that you have too, but rest easy knowing that odds are that you will not be placed in that situation.

Counter Assault. Nothing against other makes but Counter Assault has withstood the test of time. Plus its made in my hometown and I have friends who work there.

Agreed, great product.

Bear spray also works real well on people, by the way. WAY more effective than the food condiment that cops use.

I'm fairly certain it works real well on annoying dogs when your hiking or biking around home...:rolleyes:

If you're driving from Utah, stop and pick some up at Smith's grocery store in Jackson. They sell Counter Assault and it's the cheapest price around. I believe you can rent it in Jackson for ~$7/day (can't remember which business is doing that now, sorry) but I would just buy it. Smith's sells it for ~$30 and the holster is a few more.

We were given a can of bear spray by the NER ranger while there on a bison hunt. You may be able to get a free can from the Jackson or Cody Game and Fish office. Don't leave it in your car, exploding bear spray will total your vehicle. They usually start giving it away in Sept to hunters.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back