barnes tsx or nosler partition?

adubs

I'm preparing for a mule deer hunt on the kaibab and I have a cooper 92 backcountry in a 300 win mag. I'm currently dialed in with a 165 tsx coming out the barrel at 3200fps. I talked to the guide that Im hunting with and he is against me using tsx's and prefers something like a partition...has me thinking maybe I need to change and work up a different load?? I've harvested mature bull elk with 180 tsx's and had them drop in their tracks so I do have confidence in the performance of the bullet...Any thoughts???

Last edited:
Both bullets have pros and cons, no bullet works best in all situations. I’d shoot the bullet you have dialed in already. Most important thing is putting a bullet where it counts. Any 165 grain bullet out of a 300 Win Mag will put down a mule deer for sure.

If that round is shooting through your gun and your confident with it, see above comment. That round is more than capable of taking down a mule deer. Did the guide give a reason why?

Ridiculous advice. Both are great bullets and both are 1A and 1B recommendations from Safari outfitters who see hundreds and hundreds of large plains game shot every year versus the dozen or so elk a US outfitter might see. It will be interesting to see what other “advice” this outfitter has for you . . . . .

I think the guide thinks there won't be expansion and the bullet will zip through with little blood trail. It is a common prejudice.

Copper Bullet performance is much better now than years ago. And I'm a Die hard Partition fan. But before long we are all going to have to shoot non lead nation wide so better get used to it!

According to him, he's had bad experiences with them...deer being hit well and taking multiple follow up shots or having them run away after what appeared to be good shots. I believe as stated above its a concern about expansion, and yes at lower speeds and smaller calibers that would be a concern, however with my setup I don't see an issue. I know he's an excellent guide and has an amazing reputation for killing world class deer. I also realize that doesn't make him an expert on ballistic performance. Personal experiences (with many different variables) can change a persons opinions very quickly for the better or worse. I called Barnes and talked to them today as well, and have even more confidence in my current load. I'm sticking with my TSX's. Thanks for the reply's.

Yea thats weird. I'd lose trust in a guide who said that. A 300 mag with 165 TTSX will certainly do the trick.

You'll be fine with Barnes. Especially if you already know what it will do. Confidence in your setup is valuable. And did I mention you'd do fine with Barnes?

@adubs, I'd get this issue discussed and settled with your guide asap. Don't let it create an impasse but keep in mind you're paying. Good rifle that Cooper....

If anything, try the 165gr TTSX, which will open up easier/faster, and *most likely* retain the same accuracy as your current TSX load.

Reactions: Guy
It's been my experience that accuracy and bullet placement is more important than bullet diameter and construction, especially for deer. I killed most of my mule deer with standard cup and core bullets, with the majority killed with 117 grain Sierra Spitzers from my .257 Ackley. I killed my largest mule deer, a 30" nontypical, with a .45 caliber patched round lead ball on a Colorado muzzleloader hunt.

From 1980 through 2003, I killed 21 elk with 180 grain Nosler Partition bullets at approximately .300 Win velocities. I felt that all of those bullets did an excellent job.

In the past 15 years, I've used Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets on hunts on 4 continents for critters as small as 25 pound Steenbok and Klipspringer to 1500 plus pound Cape Buffalo. Most were one shot kills, and I have NEVER had a Barnes bullet fail to do what it was supposed to do.

In the past 20 years I have been on 15 guided hunts and have hunted with 21 different guides. Only one of those guides was a handloader, and most knew very little about different bullets and ballistics. Most of what they knew about bullets and ballistics was from clients they had guided, and most of those clients also were not handloaders, and many were only occasional shooters. As a result many clients wound and loose game animals then blame their bullets instead of their poor bullet placement, especially if the bullets are a new design like the Barnes. So this is what the guides see, then they pass that belief on to their future clients.

So for a mule deer hunt with a .300 Win mag, should you use Barnes TSX/TTSX bullets or Nosler Partitions? I would say to use the one that is most accurate in your rifle, and enjoy your hunt.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back