MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

ATVs banned from some trails in Pioneers

Bambistew

For those who don't know the Pioneers are south of Butte MT...

By Perry Backus of The Montana Standard - 05/13/2004

Decision irks riders; spurs support from wilderness group
WISE RIVER — A decision to prohibit all-terrain vehicles from using more than 63 miles of trails in the West Pioneer Mountains is getting a mixed response from outdoor enthusiasts.

The decision to keep ATVs off trails north of Lacy Creek comes as the Forest Service works to comply with a 2001 federal court order.

The West Pioneer Mountains lie between Wise River and Wisdom, and the area is one of nine designated as wilderness study areas by Congress in 1977.

As part of that designation, the Forest Service is required to maintain the wilderness character of the areas. In 1995, the Montana Wilderness Association sued the Forest Service over its policies for vehicles traveling in Montana wilderness study areas.

As a result of that lawsuit, a federal district judge ordered the Forest Service to assess the wilderness character in the nine areas in 2001.

"Our assessment found that the overall wilderness character of the West Pioneers was unchanged, but that we had some problems on trails north of Lacy Creek," said Charlie Hester, the district ranger in Wise River.

Hester said that while there were single-track motorcycle trails in use in 1977, four-wheel

See ATVs, Page A7

ATVs were not using the area back then.

"North of Lacy Creek, we found just over 63 miles of trails that had become two-track ATV trails since 1977," he said.

Some of those trails, like the Fool Hen Ridge Trail, have become popular for ATV use over the years, Hester said. Many started as single-track trails, but as ATVs gained popularity they grew into two-track trails, he said.

The Forest Service will no longer allow ATVs to use those trails starting probably sometime next month, said Hester. Beginning this summer, the agency will begin restoration work on trails to bring them back to the standard 24 inches in width.

"These trails will stay open to motorcycles and to snowmobiles, just like they were in 1977," Hester said.

The agency also found that snowmobiles and snowmobile trail grooming hasn't affected the wilderness character of the area.

Three routes that were Jeep trails in 1977 will remain open to ATVs. They include:

— Lacy Creek road, from Lacy Creek to Lake of the Woods.

— Pattengill road from the scenic byway to the junction with trail 135.

— Maynard Mine road.

The decision to close the roads has members of the Mining City Trail Riders "peeved," said that organization's president, Mike Rallis. "It looks as though there isn't much we can do about. It's appears to be cut and dried."

Trails that will be closed have been popular to the 200-some members of the organization, Rallis said.

The agency's decision is symptomatic of what's happening elsewhere in the state, said Rallis.

"They're closing everything," he said. "There's a lot of trails that are being closed in the Pipestone area, too … it's happening all over the state of Montana. We're getting a major hit this year with closures."

At the same time, Rallis said the agency is requiring all ATVs to be street legal.

"It may be that they're looking to close off all the trails and the only place left to ride will be on the roads," he said. "We have several people who can only get around on a four-wheeler. They don't have the use of their legs. They're not going to be able to enjoy the backcountry."

"It's just extremely disappointing," said Rallis. "There are a lot of trails that they're closing that we've helped to maintain and built bridges. That's gratitude for you."

But John Gatchell, the Montana Wilderness Association conservation director, said the ATVs have trashed pristine trails in the West Pioneers.

"In places where there was a narrow pack trail, there's now a road 15 to 20 feet wide," Gatchell said. "This decision is a step in the right direction before the resource damage gets any worse."

The trails are designed for horse and foot traffic. The wider ATVs have "blown out" stream crossings and impacted fragile meadows, he said.

"The trails were not designed for ATV use," said Gatchell.

Extensive ATV use in the Pioneers has ruined traditional hunting "in what was one of the greatest hunting areas in Montana," said Gatchell. "In some places, it's become a drive-through area … that's a loss we should not take lightly."

"This is a step to restore what should have never been lost," Gatchell said.

Gatchell said the Montana Wilderness Association agrees that ATVs should have access to public lands. The association has supported legislation to allow ATV users on the 33,000 miles of Forest Service roads, he said.

"There's nothing wrong with ATVs in the right places," he said. "But they are misplaced in places like Montana wilderness study areas … these are areas that they're not making any more of."

"At the same time, Rallis said the agency is requiring all ATVs to be street legal"

This part I don't understand. Here in Washington, this last legislative session they passed and/or revised laws so that ATV's do not have to be street legal on Forest Service roads. The Forest Service was involved in this and agreed with the new law. Later today I'll find the new law and post it on here.

"Extensive ATV use in the Pioneers has ruined traditional hunting "in what was one of the greatest hunting areas in Montana," said Gatchell. "In some places, it's become a drive-through area … that's a loss we should not take lightly."

Same thing is happening in most states.

You could replace 'Montana' with 'Nevada' in the quote above and the same would apply . We've lost some great hunting areas here as well , the saddest part is these areas are not physically demanding to hunt . Some outstanding winter ranges are now a maze of ATV trails. There are too many LAZY SLOB HUNTERS unwilling to walk anywhere they can drive to on a machine.

I don't understand why they're still allowing two-wheelers and snowmobiles if the issue is that it's a WSA.

Oak

Yes, I have to agree with the question Oak asked, "Why are they still allowing motorcycles and snowmobiles?"

A wilderness area is supposed to be closed to vehicular traffic. A motorcycle simply damages a narrower path, but still is hard on water crossings, soft dirt, etc. I guess a "wilderness study area" falls under a different set of rules.

Oak - I am pretty sure motorized use is allowed and restricted to designated trails in WSA's that existed at the time of designation. Motorized or mountain bike cross-country travel is illegal.

edit: I also belive that each WSA is managed differently with respect to motorized use.

I didn't realize that they were managed differently. Over on the W. Slope of CO, they gated all the roads and trails a few years ago and only allowed welfare ranchers and BLM employees in. They wouldn't even let the DOW in to track bighorns, recover collars from dead deer and bighorns, or monitor other wildlife. I assumed they were that strict everywhere.

Oak

This post made my day. I hunted the pioneers last year, beautiful country that could hold some great elk hunting if not for all the gearheads running all over with bows and rifles on. I have a friend who shot a 400+ bull there before it was made so accessible by all the ATV trails being widened.

Thanks to this action, the hunting could be good again someday. Nice to see things change for the better.

But John Gatchell, the Montana Wilderness Association conservation director, said the ATVs have trashed pristine trails in the West Pioneers.
Would anyone expect his view to be anything else????

Originally posted by Ten Bears:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />But John Gatchell, the Montana Wilderness Association conservation director, said the ATVs have trashed pristine trails in the West Pioneers.
Would anyone expect his view to be anything else???? </font>[/QUOTE]Ten ,is your view anything else ?
Do you look at 'pristine trails trashed by ATV's ' and see beauty in the 2 track roads ?

Somebody would first have to show me what a "pristine trail" is, as any "trail" is only evidenced by the "disturbance" that created it.

I see beauty in many things......
;) ;)

Ten ,
I'll try not to confuse you with any technical or scientific jargon ; a pristine trail would not include tire tracks , exhaust fumes or the relaxing hum of an internal combustion engine .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back