Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Assault Ban Has No Effect

ELKCHSR

Imagine that... The doom and gloomers lose another round... One would think they would start finding a drum they could beat and win... Probably not.. :)

Gun Sellers Say An Assault Ban Has No Effect
By DEBORAH SONTAG

Despite dire predictions that the streets would be awash in military-style guns, the expiration of the decade-long assault weapons ban last September has not set off a sustained surge in the weapons' sales, gun makers and sellers say. It also has not caused any noticeable increase in gun crime in the past seven months, according to several metropolitan police departments.

The uneventful expiration of the assault weapons ban did not surprise gun owners, nor did it surprise some advocates of gun control. Rather, it underscored what many of them had said all along: that the ban was porous - so porous that assault weapons remained widely available throughout their prohibition.

"The whole time that the American public thought there was an assault weapons ban, there never really was one," said Kristen Rand, legislative director of the Violence Policy Center, a gun-control group.

What's more, law enforcement officials say that military-style weapons, which were never used in many gun crimes but did enjoy some vogue in the years before the ban took effect, seem to have gone out of style in criminal circles.

"Back in the early 90's, criminals wanted those Rambo-type weapons they could brandish," said Jim Pasco, executive director of the Fraternal Order of Police. "Today they are much happier with a 9-millimeter handgun they can stick in their belt."

When the ban took effect in 1994, it exempted more than 1.5 million assault weapons already in private hands. Over the next 10 years, at least 1.17 million more assault weapons were produced - legitimately - by manufacturers that availed themselves of loopholes in the law, according to an analysis of firearms production data by the Violence Policy Center.

Throughout the decade-long ban, for instance, the gun manufacturer DPMS/Panther Arms of Minnesota continued selling assault rifles to civilians by the tens of thousands. In compliance with the ban, the firearms manufacturer "sporterized" the military-style weapons, sawing off bayonet lugs, securing stocks so they were not collapsible and adding muzzle brakes. But the changes did not alter the guns' essence; they were still semiautomatic rifles with pistol grips.

After the ban expired in September, DPMS reintroduced its full-featured weapons to the civilian market and enjoyed a slight spike in sales. That increase was short-lived, however, and predictably so, said Randy E. Luth, the company's owner.

"I never thought the sunset of the ban would be that big a deal," Mr. Luth said.

No gun production data are yet available for the seven months since the ban expired. And some gun-control advocates say they don't trust the self-reporting of gun industry representatives, who may want to play down the volume of their sales to ward off a revival of the ban.

Indeed, a replica of the ban is again before the Senate.

"In my view, the assault weapons legislation was working," said Senator Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California, a chief sponsor of the new bill. "It was drying up supply and driving up prices. The number of those guns used in crimes dropped because they were less available."

Assault weapons account for a small fraction of gun crimes: about 2 percent, according to most studies, and no more than 8 percent. But they have been used in many high-profile shooting sprees. The snipers in the 2002 Washington-area shootings, for instance, used semiautomatic assault rifles that were copycat versions of banned carbines.

Gun crime has plummeted since the early 1990's. But a study for the National Institute of Justice said that it could not "clearly credit the ban with any of the nation's recent drop in gun violence."

Research for the study in several cities did show a significant decline in the criminal use of assault weapons during the ban. According to the study, however, that decline was offset by the "steady or rising use" of other guns equipped with high-capacity magazines - ammunition-feeding devices that hold more than 10 rounds.

I wonder if any one really believed this would make any difference.
All of these supposed bans are only to give some one additional notches on vibrators and take away second amendment rights, not to curtail illegal use of fire arms.

Wow, I am really surprised. "The Assualt Weapons Ban had little or no effect on removing assualt weapons from the streets. "Back in the early 90's, criminals wanted those Rambo-type weapons they could brandish," said Jim Pasco, executive director of the Fraternal Order of Police. "Today they are much happier with a 9-millimeter handgun they can stick in their belt."

I guess the Australians really showed what effective weapons bans can do. They removed all weapons from the street and lowered the rate of murder involving firearms by 34%. Isn't that amazing? You outlaw firearms and the firearms related death rate goes down by 1/3. What about the other 2/3? Where did those firearms come from? And what about the new industries that the firearms ban in Australia has spawned?

Before the ban down under, the crime of "homebreaking" was virtually unheard of. It is now the number 1 type of violent crime. Young thugs, without firearms for the most part, will break into an elderly coulples home, beat them and tape them up using duct tape.. (which has become the favorite method of controlling victims)..then physically assualt and rob them. In the years preceding the gun ban, this crime was virtually unheard of in Australia. Last year (2003) it was the number one crime of violence and the second leading type of physical assault the resulted in a death of one or more victims. The number one type of crime, resulting in the death of a victim remains assualt with a firearm. Seems the number one weapon of choice for the homebreaking thugs is a metal pipe fashioned into a club.

As to the ascertian the the weapons ban has or had any effect on crime rates..... It is a proven fact that there are currently more weapons, privately owned in the US than at any time in the history of this country. It is also a proven fact that the crime rate has been on a steady decline since 1968. If you put those two pieces of logic together, the mathematical derivation would be that since the rate of violent crime is inversely proportional to the numbers of privately owned weapons, privately owned weapons decrease crime.

To apply that same logic to the assault weapons ban, we can conclude that the numbers of privately owned weapons increased steadily over the time that the assualt weapons ban was in place, the assualt weapons ban had little or no effect on the numbers of weapons held in private ownership. It was ineffective and served no purpose other than to provide a vehicle for many politicians to woo and cajole voters.

My sources for this information are available on line if anyone wants a copy of the footnotes from my thesis.

:cool:

Heres the funny part...

The AWB is worthless...and the worthless dude in the WH was going to resign it...

Now thats funny...and typical.

having a ban means nothing, if they want those types of weapons on the streets, they can get some manufactored outside the country in the black market. But like the article stated, they like their handguns so they can carry them more easier. Shoot man, I look at it this way, the more rules they have on something, the richer someone else[not the government] is gonna get. Look at marijuana, and other "illegal" drugs. the street value goes up year after year.

the AWB was all cosmetic... folding stocks are stupid,who needs a bayonet lug or flash hider? The POST Ban weapons that you could buy during the ban were alot better quality then the PRE Ban weapons.. i still had so called HIGH CAPACITY magazines for all my pistols. I do however respect your decision as a law abiding citizen, to have all these options on your weapons. The positive side to the AWB is alot more gun owners became politically active.

AWB and Gun Control- was great. It scared enough people to make sure everyone looked at gun control instead of any really relevant issue. I have heard more people say "the economy sucks, the environment is getting screwed, gas prices are unbelieveable but at least they won't take my guns. Damn that guy in the White House is doing a great job." Gun control is a great for politics, but is used more as a red herring than an actual issue. If anyone really believes the Constitution (2nd Amendment) will get changed to do any actual gun control in the US, I got a bridge you can buy for nice and cheap.

I bet if you check with the firearms manufacturers, they will say to the man that Bill Clinton was the best thing that ever happened to them. Scared the crap out of everyone and the sale of guns skyrocketed. Funny how that works.

:cool:

danr55- I wouldn't doubt it. It's a great rallying cry but it just doesn't make sense. I haven't been deprived of owning a single firearm. But, I guess it gives the NRA higher membership and takes the focus from real issues.

I remember seeing that on the news Dan...
It was quite a while ago now, but when Klinton was working on the bannings, the weapons markets and sales jumped a great deal. It would have been good to buy stock in the companies at the time... :)

reply..

the AWB created a market for COMPACT single stack (concealed carry) pistols..
i was upset that 25rd mags for my ruger 10-22 were $100.00 apiece. as for my hi cap glock mags,once you owned one, it was perfectly legal to order replacement bodies,springs,followers,and plates to rebuild your mags..in my closet i have PRE sept 14 1994 hi caps, during ban (LE ONLY) hi caps, and post ban (AWB Expired) nonstamped hi caps. i am going to keep my LE ONLY mags as a reminder of what hilary accomplished by letting bill hook up with monica.. LMMFAO.

Sage- Didn't the AWB have to make it through a Republican Congress to get it started in the first place?

here is a better website and i suggest you take the quiz to test your knowledge....

Attachments

• cgb_index_pkrry1.gif
    cgb_index_pkrry1.gif
    12 KB · Views: 20
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back