Arrow speed calculator

EODRay

I found this nifty little arrow speed calculator online.
http://archerycalculator.com/estimate-bow-speed/

The reason I was looking for it is because I wanted to do some 3D shoots when I get back to the states. I thought that it might help me with gauging distances as well as shooting at different angles and situations. Looking at the different rules for different organizations has me concerned. I would like to do these competitions with my normal hunting setup. The problem is arrow speed. Some of the rules say no more than 280, 290 or 300 fps.

I was trying to use this calculator to see what weight arrows, tips and draw weight I would need to get down to those speeds. Anyone have a chronograph that wants to test how accurate this calculator is?

My setup is this: 340 fps IBO speed, 70lb draw, 29.5" draw, 272 grain arrow weight and 100 grain tips. The calculator says this equals 327.66 fps. That's to fast for any of these competitions. I played around with it and would have to drop my draw to 60 lbs and shoot 150 grain tips just to get down to 294.33 fps.

I know that 295 fps with 150 grain tips would have plenty of kinetic energy to kill big game up to any distances that I could shoot them at (wouldn't currently shoot past 50 yards). However, I am comfortable with the arrows and draw weight that I currently shoot (70 lbs and 100 grain tips). Not sure I want to change that up too much. Why would they put those speed limits on these shoots? Plenty plus more is enough in my opinion.

Ray

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back