Caribou Gear Tarp

Any help appreciated

gobluesd

First off i want to say hello, i have been looking around for any info i could get on elk hunting and i found this site and everybody seemed really helpful so here i am. I've lived in south dakota chasing whitetails and pheasants and the one time i went to colorado it took most of the time i was there just getting used to being in mountains for the first time and i didnt have much luck. So i was thinking of going back to Co for the 2nd season OTC tag, not looking for anybodys secret spot, but id appreciate any direction i could get. i hunted around steamboat springs the time i was there. thanks for any help.

I hunt fairly near to where you will be going. If there is no or little snow,try to find a bench with a stream going through it at about 9,500 to 10,000 feet that also has good grass nearby. One of the most productive areas that we hunt has a series of beaver ponds/parks that the elk are always near to. In the early morning and evening, watch the openings where there is grazing. Be there before it gets light.

During the day still-hunt the dark timber on north facing slopes. Also, don't be afraid to hike in 2 to 3 miles from the trail-head because there will be lots of other hunters no matter where you go.

Go further in, be there earlier, and stay later that the other hunters and you will get an opportunity to fill the freezer.

Good Luck!

Back