Yeti GOBOX Collection

Antique decoys

mdcrossbow

I not a collector of decoys but I like them all the same. I was given these 2 years ago by a friend when her husband died. These are Eastern Shore Md decoys. I inquiring now as to how made them. Canvas back's

Attachments

• CIMG0012.JPG
    CIMG0012.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 88
  • CIMG0013.JPG
    CIMG0013.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 86
  • CIMG0014.JPG
    CIMG0014.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 84
  • CIMG0015.JPG
    CIMG0015.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 84
Crossbow:

Hard to tell from the pics, but if I had to guess, here is what it would be.

The top photo is a Madison Mitchell. A guy from your part of the world who made the Chesapeake style very popular back in the 30's. I have some of his redheads, and will not part with them. The fact that they have the original paint job and weighted keel is good. His swooping tails, and the signature keel placed heavily forward, are usually indicators of his work. But, he trained many people, so it could be something else.

The can in the middle pic is harder to tell, as it does not have the characteristic swooping tail of the MM blocks, and a different keel. It could be a MM, but probably not. MM carved with many other guys, and trained many of them, so it could be from one of his proteges, and given the paint jobs are very similar, I suspect some connection to MM.

You live in the waterfowl carving mecca of the world, so I bet someone nearby, or the folks at the Ward waterfowl museum can tell you.

Good find. Hold on to them, if you can.

The one on the top looks like a Mitchell body, but head could be another carvers. The second could be many carvers, possibly a Graham. There is a book about Susquehanna River Decoys that I have that would give you a better idea, as would the Havre De Grace Decoy Museum. I had them identify a few of mine for me at one of the festivals. There are a lot of really nice carvers like Charlie Pierce or the Jobes who would help you as well if you took it to them. That was a nice gift though.

crossbow
I'm not a collector or expert...just pick up old dekes when I can...those are very nice dekes you have there and like mentioned you are in one of the hot spots for old time carvers. Hang on to them...most wildfowlers like me have a real appreciation for 'vintage' dekes. Don't let anyone talk you out of them...btw...what do you want for them?...lol!
Nice stuff there.

Thanks Guys I have a guy working with me on them now from Easton Md just over the bay bridge from me.
He told me the 2nd decoy is a Jim Courier but needs better picks for the 1st one.

I;m not sure if I will sell them but then again money is very tight these days.

Those are some nice looking decoys. I have always loved the Ward brothers but have never had the cash and opportunity align to start my collection. Hang on to them if you can. Contact me if you cant:)

Back